John Armstrong, my 3rd great-grandfather, was born in Pennsylvania, 2 Nov 1792; married 16 Nov 1820 in Ross County, Ohio to Mary Lucas (b. Montgomery County, Maryland 1797, dau James Lucas/Mary Free, d. 21 Jan 1866, Tippecanoe County, Indiana); d. 11 Jan 1873, in Clay County, Illinois, buried there in Clay City Cemetery. The family lived in Pike County, Ohio, in 1830 but had moved to Tippecanoe County by 1840.
Children of John Armstrong and Mary Lucas:
1) Elizabeth Armstrong, 1821-1891, m. _____ Smith;
2) Martin Luther Armstrong, 1823-1891, m. Lacy or Lucy ______, moved to Clay County, Illinois in the 1850s;
3) Mary Armstrong, 1824-1902, b. Ohio, d. (unmarried) Tippecanoe County, IN;
4) Elender Armstrong, 1826-1826;
5) Margaret Armstrong, 1828-1909, m. 1) Luther Barnes, 1827-1879, 2) Jacob High, 1823-1888;
6) Caroline Armstrong, 1830-1885, b. Pike County, OH, d. Tippecanoe County, IN, m. Elihu Peters 1849 in Tippecanoe County;
7) John Wesley Armstrong, 1833-1842;
8) John Finley Armstrong, 1837-1842;
9) William Lucas Armstrong (my 2nd great-grandfather), 1839-1877, b. Indiana, d. Illinois, m. 1861 Catherine Ann Chaney (dau. of Henry Chaney and Harriett Bunnell) in Clay County, IL.
All of the dates I have on this John Armstrong are from family sources handed down from his grandson Owen Lucas Armstrong (brother of my great-grandmother Nevada Armstrong Knost). I believe he may have been the son of John and Elizabeth Armstrong who are buried in Ross County, OH, the county in which John Armstrong was married. I have not been able to locate his county of birth in Pennsylvania. I would like to find out more about his family of origin and ancestry. Please contact me if you are also a descendant of this family or have any information about John Armstrong. See my public tree for further details and information.