Search for content in message boards

James ADAIR b. 1794 GA d. 1842 TN m. Mary HILL

Replies: 14

James ADAIR b. 1794 GA d. 1842 TN m. Mary HILL

Posted: 1111177491000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1161435194000
I hate to bring up another James but does anyone recognize to what family this one belongs:

JAMES ADAIR (WILLIAM) was born Abt. 1794 in Cass/Bartow Co., Georgia, and died Abt. 1842 in Franklin Co., Tennessee. He married MARY HILL Abt. 1824 in Cherokee Nation, Georgia. She was born Bet. 1800 - 1805 in South Carolina? Tennessee?, and died Aft. 1860 in Jack Co., Texas.

Children of JAMES ADAIR and MARY HILL are:
i. CHARLES W. ADAIR, b. December 25, 1825, Franklin Co., Tennessee; d. 1883, Wise Co., Texas; m. MARY JANE SPIER, Abt. 1842, Pike Co., Arkansas; b. 1825, Missouri; d. ABt. 1830, Wise Co., Texas.
ii. SUSAN ADAIR, b. Abt. 1825, Franklin Co., Tennessee; d. 1878, Parker Co., Texas; m. ALEXANDER HENLEY, Abt. 1850, Tennessee; b. 1825, Tennessee; d. Unknown.
iii. JASPER NEWTON ADAIR, b. December 25, 1835, Franklin Co., Tennessee; d. September 11, 1914, Jean, Young Co., Texas; m. FRANCES ELLEN MAYES, August 1860, Parker Co., Texas; b. January 17, 1838, Shelby Co., Missouri; d. February 09, 1933, Mineral Wells, Palo Pinto Co., Texas.
iv. WILLIAM (and/or) JEFFERSON ADAIR, b. Abt. 1838, Tennessee; d. Unknown.

Most of my information comes from the rejected Dawes application for Cherokee citizenship of Wit ADAIR, the grandson of James and son of Charles. Several affidavits attest to their Cherokee heritage and that Col. William Penn ADAIR was a cousin. An affidavit by J. G. HILL says that James saved his mother's life when their home was attacked by other indians. Most interesting is the following affidavit telling a story I had never heard before:

In the matter of the application of Wit ADAIR et al to be enrolled as citizens of the Cherokee Nation.

Affidavit of William A. Lewis

On this the 8th day of September, A. D., 1896, personally apperaed [sic] before me the undersigned a Notary Public, duly authorized to administer oaths for and in the Northern Judicial District of the Indian Territory, William A. Lewis, to me well know and whom I certify to be credible and respectable, who being by me first duly sworn according to law deposes and states that he is Cherokee Indian by blood, was born in the states [sic] of North Carolina in the year A. D. 1817 on the 8th day of March, and am 79 years of age.
Affiant says that he has heard his mother speak of the ancestry of the present ADAIR family, of which the claimant named in the above entitled claim is a descendant, and that the affiant’s said mother, Courtney LEWIS (nee TAYLOR) has traced the geneology [sic] to one Lord Henry TAYLOR of England, who had a son who was commissioned as a Lieutenant in the British Army stationed in the American colonies prior to the war of the Revolution, or about the year A. D., 1760, and that the said Lieutenant (Fox TAYLOR) son of Lord Henry TAYLOR od [sic- of] England, was stationed with his command in the Carolinas and Georgias [sic]. That prior to the beginning of the war of the Revolution about 15 years, the said Fox TAYLOR (great grandfather of your affiant on his paternal side and great grandfather of the said J. N. ADAIR on his maternal side) married a Cherokee Indian woman whose maiden name was Charity WARD about the year A. D. 1755, that as issue of the said marriage there were bron [sic] three (3) children whose names are as follows to-wit:- Fox TAYLOR, Jr., _____ TAYLOR (a girl) and _____TAYLOR (a boy). That at the time of the opening of the war of the Revolution the said Fox TAYLOR Sr. as aforesaid was recalled by the British Government and in leaving took back with him to England his daughter and his youngest son, leaving his wife and his oldest son, Fox TAYLOR as aforesaid in America.
Affiant further states that the said daughter of Fox TAYLOR Sr. at the time of her removal to England with her father was about 10 years of age, and that she was educated in the city of London, and married there above the year A. D. 1790 to one ____ ODAIR (and your affiant believes that the said ODAIR’s given name was Lutus);- That the said ODAIR and his said wife (grandparents of the said J. N. ADAIR the claimant named in the within action) returned to the United States before the recollection of your affiant.
Affiant further states that at the time of his earliest recollection, sons and daughters of the said ODAIR and his said wife were living, (having settled) at Adairville in what is now the state of Georgia, and that the said sons and daughters began the changing of the first letter of the name, making it ADIAR [sic] in the place of ODAIR, as formerly called, prior to that time. That on [sic-one] of the said sons of said ODAIR was named William ADAIR (who was the grandfather of J. N. ADAIR and the great grandfather of Wit ADAIR, petitioners named in the caption), that the affiant was well acquainted with the said William ADAIR, as aforesaid in the state of Georgia, and have often been with and associated with the said William ADAIR, in Ball Play ;-and others indians in other sports in my youth.
Affiant further states that he knew of the existence of one James ADAIR a son of William ADAIR (who he believes to be the father of J. N. ADAIR, and Wit ADAIR’s grand father), - that the said James ADAIR as aforesaid lived in Franklin County Tennessee, near what was known as old Creek Pass, in Wills Valley.
Affiant further states that immediately after the civil war he was appointed attorney by the government of the United States to pass upon all pension cases amongst the Cherokee Indians;- That he was Attorney for Citizens in the Cherokee Citizenship courts for many years; that he spent several years in Washington City as translator and interpretor, and has thoroughly familiarized himself with all the matters and things that pertain to the names of Cherokee Families of the past.
(signed) Wm. A. Lewis

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pamwardriddle 1111177491000 
sw 1111185169000 
JuneHines500 1111328820000 
bush_cindy 1516047506000 
sw 1111360754000 
earl adair 1112073833000 
lorenemartens 1114624643000 
S Bittner 1153259076000 
patfox771 1264248391000 
June Hines 1153324394000