Search for content in message boards

Joseph McMahon - Longford

Replies: 10

Re: Joseph McMahon - married twice

Posted: 1358674038000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1359201200000
Dear Rachel?
How pleased I am to see your reply, which I've just read. I have been researching this family for the last three summers.
Family lore and memory is so interesting - here is what I can throw into the pot, so to speak:
Starting with Joseph McMahon, then. I know much more now of course, but there are still great gaps! Joseph was born in Fintona, Tyrone, Ireland c1803. He was a weaver [the bottom fell out of wages for weavers in the county] so he enlisted in the (British) 63rd Regiment on 1 Jan 1823 - his regimental no. was 373. His regiment served in various parts of Ireland, leaving Ireland to go to Windsor (ENG) between May-June 1826. The regiment then undertook (uneventful) peacekeeping activities in Portugal, which it left to return to England. The regiment was next posted to AUS. Joseph arrived in a detachment per 'Governor Ready' - the second voyage [which is where I got confused and thought he was in the 39th regiment in the first instance]. The ship arrived in Sydney and unloaded its convicts and the military - only recently have I worked this out, and its interesting you think he went to Norfolk Is [will follow this up, thanks:)]. In 1831 he was detached to Macquarie Harbour, and was rotated back there at the end of 1832. At this time Capt. James Briggs was the commandant [note may have been related to Leonard Briggs, Fanny's first husband]. I don't have specifics after this until the unfortunate matter of the fight and the victim's death some days later. [Family lore on this side was that the fight involved the 'honour of the regiment' - hmm..] Joseph was arrested, tried, and 'transported for life' in TAS. He was a rowdy prisoner, as can be read in the TAS records online.
From 1839 he lived in Longford, TAS. In 1843 he applied twice to marry 'Sarah' - and I now think Fanny used these names (Brigg, Reading) because she couldn't prove she was widowed; and, that after she could prove it, she remarried in the Catholic Church. [Does your part of the family have the prayer book you mention?] Alternatively it could have to do with her family's religious background...

Fanny's line is quite fascinating in its own right - another time though. Joseph and Fanny's son was Joseph Charles McMahon - he was very involved in the community, clever and amassed a fortune [see Trove]. He, as you say, was educated at the seminary in Hobart.

The house the family lived in -in Longfort, TAS- was called Fintona - various of my in-laws visited it years ago. Joseph Charles married -three- times. Maureen and her siblings, were the issue of those marriages. Marion, the oldest, was already married (when their father died), but I wondered what happened to the others after the death of the last wife, ie Frances Josephine (Brown) McMahon. The Brown family are the cousins you refer to in Moruya - did Sheila go there too? I believe the son, Joseph Edward, eventually attended uni, did not graduate, married young. You say that Joe attended St Virgil's, Hobart - wonder if they have publically acessible records?

It's said that this generation lived the high life and spent without thought for tomorrow. So all of a sudden, as the ancestry ad says, they each bought a pub.

I am happy to share more - if you wish to conact me at elbe12 at westnet.com.au.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lbain142 1256338693000 
092729 1256354096000 
lbain142 1256357697000 
fryerning 1256633373000 
092729 1256818580000 
lbain142 1256853869000 
erachelryan 1343396266000 
lbain142 1358674038000 
boxhallglenni... 1317798823000 
lbain142 1327911707000 
per page