Lady Hilda Long Thomson

Replies: 0

Lady Hilda Long Thomson

Posted: 1063073262000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1082996045000
Surnames: Thomson,Long
DISTANT COUSINS IN SANDY BAY NEAR HOBART
I would very much like to make contact with my distant cousins, the daughters & grandchildren & the late Lady Hilda Long Thomson, widow of Admiral Sir George Pirie Thomson. Hilda Long Thomson was born in England, probably near Manchester, ca 1898, the daughter of John McAuliffe Long (d 1931), who was son of Robert Hare Long (1830-80), of Ardmayle & Mayfield, Cashel, Tipperary, Ireland.
Hilda Long married a businessman, name unknown, who was employed by Jardine & Co as their representative in China where Hilda & her husband lived for many years. By her businessman husband, Hilda had one or two daughters.
Hilda Long's 2nd marriage was to Admiral Sir George Pirie Thomson, Great Britain's chief press censor during WWII.
Sometime after her 2nd husband's death (in the 1960s?), Lady Thomson moved to Australia where she lived with one of her daughters, at Sandy Bay, near Hobart, Tasmania. Either one or both of her daughters, names unfortunately unknown, lived in or near Hobart & probably married & had children.
One of the daughters visited our ancestral home back in the mid 1980s. Longfield House, Cashel, Tipperary, was built by my gt-gt-gt-gt-gdfather, Colonel Richard Long (1740-1814), ca 1787. His younger son, Edward Thomas Long (1799-1875), was the father of several children, including my gt-gt-gdfather, Edward John Long, of Rockbridge, Richland Co, Wisconsin, & Robert Hare Long (1830-80), grandfather of Hilda Long Thomson. The managers of Longfield House told us an Australian Long had visited there a few months before, & had advised them she was a descendant of the Longs of Longfield.
If anyone in Sandy Bay recalls Lady Hilda Long Thomson & her daughters, I would be most appreciative if you might send me an Email: countcaragata@yahoo.com
Cheers! count caragata of Toronto

Find a board about a specific topic