Search for content in message boards

Albert I. Stein Obituary

Replies: 0

Albert I. Stein Obituary

Posted: 993395689000
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 1057885043000
Surnames: Stein
Spring Valley Sun, October 24, 1918

Albert I. Stein

Albert I. Stein, who died at Camp Hancock, Augusta, Georgia, Oct. 5, was buried in Spring Lake Cemetery Monday, Oct. 14.

The funeral was attended by practically the whole Spring Lake congregation and quite a few from Spring Valley and Gilman. After a brief service at the home at 2 p.m. the remains were brought to Spring Lake church, which had been decorated in beautiful manner by a committee. In the chancel to the left of the altar was the service flag with its gold star in the center for the deceased, and around about it were the blue stars for the other boys of the congregation that had been called out to serve their country. To the right of the altar was suspended a large American flag. The pulpit was also draped with the "stars and stripes", as was of course the beautiful khaki broadcloth casket.

The service at the church consisted of a hymn by the congregation, three songs by the Spring Lake choir and a funeral sermon in the Norwegian language by the local pastor, Rev. S. Berven. The latter also gave a biography of the deceased and a short address in the English language. After reviewing the remains, which was made possible by the inner sealed copper casket, to which the body was transferred upon his arrival here. It was taken to the Spring Lake cemetery for interment.

Albert I. Stein was born to Mr. and Mrs. Adolph Stein in Spring Lake Feb. 27, 1897. He received Christian baptism on March 28th of the same year. At the age of 15 he was confirmed in the Spring Lake church by Rev. Paul Moen, who at that time served the Spring Lake and Gilman charge. Having reached his majority on Feb. 27th this year, he came within the draft of June 5, 1918.

Pleading no exemption, on the 4th of Sept. he left with a contingent from Ellsworth for Camp Grant, and was stationed there until the later part of the month when he was sent to Camp Hancock, Ga.

Upon his arrival there he was already sick and was taken together with 300 others, directly from the train to the base hospital. While there telegrams were received by his mother stating that he was seriously ill with pneumonia. Hopes for his recovery were entertained up to the very last, in spite of the discouraging tone of the messages. Saturday, Oct. 5th, no less than three telegrams were received and the last one of these conveyed the sad news that Albert had passed away at 8:15 p.m. The remains were shipped to Spring Valley the following Saturday morning. They arrived here with a military escort.

Besides his widowed mother he is survived by five brothers and one sister; his father died three years ago.

Contributed by Joe Waddell

Find a board about a specific topic