Search for content in message boards

Indian Settlement near Maiden Rock 1850-1900

Replies: 2

Re: Indian Settlement near Maiden Rock 1850-1900

Posted: 1492865828000
Classification: Query
I read your post a couple days ago but have not been able to find anything on Blue Fountain, Minnesota. I have heard or read of it at one time or another but now I cannot find anything which is now "bugging" me.
How do you know it was in existence in 1850? I'm wondering if I may have seen it, searching the every ten years federal censuses.

The father of Madaline/Madeleine/Madeline/Magdalena Robinson and Thomas Robinson is fairly well documented to be the trader/trapper Dennis Robinson.
Featherstonhaugh (pronounced "fan-SHAW") records seeing "the flaxen-hair beauty" the first time on 24 Sep 1835 in his journal of his trip up the Minnesota River. When inquiring more about her, the native women in the river
encampment detail how she and her brother were abandoned by the trader Dennis Robinson. He only refers to her as "Pah-kah Skah" (meaning "White Hair").
Madaline Robinson married Joseph Rocque in Prairie du Chien on 15 Jun 1837 according to church records at St. Gabriel. Joseph & Madaline are my great-great-grandparents.
Madaline's husband Joseph Rocque (1811-1875) states "Dennis Robinson" is her father in his 1855 half-breed script affidavit.

Thomas Robinson states in his 1855 half-breed script affidavit, that his father was the "trader ______ Robinson." Thomas Robinson married a daughter of Chief Wakute and had a close friend, John Moores, who is the mixed-blood son of the trader Hazen Mooers.

Anderson and Woolworth write in their narrative "Through Dakota Eyes" that John Moores married "a sister of Thomas Robinson's." John Moores wife would have to be a "half-sister" of Thomas & Madaline Robinson.
The three would have the same mother but not the same father because Dennis Robinson abandoned the mother of his two mixed-blood children.
And, for all we know, Thomas & Madaline may have had other half-siblings.

Since posting my initial thread back in 26 Mar 2010 and to which you replied to on 21 Apr 2017, I have still have not located an "official" Indian Reservation in or near Maiden Rock, Wisconsin. I am of the opinion now that it was an unofficial reference to where the Natives lived outside of town along the river. Obituaries from Josephine & Mary Rock, daughters of Felix Rock, Sr., who are granddaughters of Madaline Robinson Rocque state they were born on the Maiden Rock Reservation. Recently received baptismal records of Josephine & Mary state they were born in Maiden Rock, Wisconsin (no reference to a Indian Reservation).
In long-held family lore, Rudolph T. Ebersold, grandson of Madaline Robinson Rocque was born in Maiden Rock, Wisconsin, but no birth or baptismal records have been found to confirm his date of birth.
I would be very interested to know if we are related thru Madaline. My eMail is:
mad-rocque [at] comcast.net
Dale
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DaleEbersold1... 1269624448000 
rbreckopdh 1492754079000 
Dale Ebersold 1492865828000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic