Search for content in message boards

St. John's Shennignton "History of Monroe County"1912

Replies: 2

St. John's Shennignton "History of Monroe County"1912

Posted: 1060567338000
Classification: Biography
Edited: 1073176715000
Surnames: Will,Kunkel,Koppwrhengst,Bergeman,Viestenz,Laudon, Helmuth, Schmeckel, Busse,Kunkel ,Tiedemann, Busching, Schmidt,Bauman,Shoening,Nommensen,Baum,Glaeser,Busack, Brockman,Woggan,Laudon,Von Rohr,Bading
" The congregation (St. John's Shennington) is located on the boundary lilne of Monroe and Juneau counties, the majority of its members living in the town of Bryon, Monroe County.
The first Lutheran misister of Wisconsin synod who visited this district was Rev. G.E. Bergemann, than residing at Tomah, thirteen miles southwest, the occasion being the burial of Mr. Will's child, February, 1897. Those who came to hear the preaching of Christ and Him crucified, were members of the families of Will, Kunkel, and Koppehengst. The Rev Bergemann labored very acceptabnle for 2 years, when he was called to Fond du Lac,Wis. where since 1908 he serves in the capacity a president of the Wisconsin synod.
The preaching post was now supplied by the ministers occupying the parsonage at Clifton. In 1899 the Rev. H. F. Viestenz entered the field having previously been preaching at a school house 1 1/2 miles west of Shennignton. Those who signed their name to the constitution were: Fred Laudon, J. B. Helmuth, August Schmeckel, Henry Busse ,F. Kunkel, C
Tiedemann, Henry Busching, John Schmidt. and Herman Baumann.
While in 1901 Rev. Viestenz removed to the Pacific coast, the Rev. I. Brackebusch was appointed to take charge of the newly organized congregation. At his suggestion a meeting was called for August 17, 1902, at which time it was resolved to erect a house for the worship of God, 26X36 in dimensions, tower 56 feet, on a site presented by Mr. Shoening, an old German settler coming from Silver Lake,Wisconsin. May 3, 1902 the corner was laid according to the ritual of the Lutheran church the Rev. Wm. Nommensen, Mauston,Wis. preaching in the English language. (Note 1902 is year given for meeting plus cornerstone; cornerstone likely 1903) Dedication was held with elaborate ceremonies on August 23, Revs. J. G. Glaeser and H. W. Schmeling assisting the local pastor. The total outlay of money was $1,350. Rev. Brackebusch's ministry with this infant congregatioon lasted until March 9, 1905, when upon the recommendation to the home mission board it was decided to join with Babcock. (Rev. G. Braum, Grand Rapids), Germantown (Rev. W. Nommensen,Mauston), and Millston (Rev. J. Glaeser, Tomah) in calling a pastor to Necedah. In the course of the year 1905 Rev. M. Busach was called to the pastorship.
The next pastor was Rev.O.B. Nommensen, a candidate for the ministry, his ordinaation and installation taking place on the 25thof August 1907. Re. B.P. Nommmensen,Wm. Nommensen and Brackebusch officiating. In December 1907. New Lisbon was added to this charge, and Rev. Nommensen removed to that place. February 7, 1909, an honorary dismissal was granted to Rev. Nommensen allowing him to accept a postion as pastor at South Milwaukee
The present pastor is Rev. H. Brockmann, who came to this field fro Beaver Dam,Wis. He has established for himself a reputation as an artist having painted the life-size portraits of Rev. Phillip von Rohr, late president of the Wisconsin synod, aand Rev. John Bading, venerable president of the synodical conference for Northwestern college,Watertown,Wis.
The present membership includes eighteen families. The present board of trustees consists of the following members : Gust Weggan, Fred Laudon, August Schmeckel. The value of church property is $1,700. The church is served every alternate Sunday from New Lisbon." (Published 1912)
Regards,Anna (Hope this will help a family researcher)

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
merrierobin1 1060567338000 
DebbiePeysen 1060783399000 
gbatten7 1332381392000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic