Search for content in message boards

A house that once was or still is?

Replies: 3

A house that once was or still is?

Posted: 1359660100000
Classification: Query
Surnames: WALKER, DONIHOO, MOFFETT, MOORE
On 28 April 1835, John Donihoo and his wife Martha Walker Donihoo sold an estate of 600 acres of property with buildings to John Moffett; located on the Great Road, in the Fancy Hill District, roughly between the Bent of Buffalo Creek and Falling Spring Church.

Much of this land was originally purchased by Joseph Walker (John Donihoo's father-in-law) from James Grigsby 2 Nov. 1784. Along Buffalo Creek, the Walkers and/or John Donihoo built a sawmill and a forge, and John Donihoo ran a tavern in the house c 1820's to early 1830's.
The estate was offered for sale in a detailed advertisment in the Winchester, Virginian ) Wednesday, January 29, 1834. The house was described as two story brick and there was a large barn.

We are trying to locate the house, where it stood or even better if it still stands. John Moffett lived there until his death in 1855. In the 1850 census his near neighbors were William and Samuel Burks, Mary Douglass and Thomas Dryden.

Are there plat maps available which would show the landowners and their property? That is exactly what we need to locate the Walker-Donihoo-Moffett home. Or, if a descendant or some person knowledgeable in Rockbridge history should recognize this property and know where it was/is located.

This was noted in Rockbridge Road Districts, 1841
"Stage road at east end of Moffetts Lane to Falling Spring Church"

Any hints/knowledge/direction will be truly appreciated!

With thanks, Suzanne Wesbrook Frantz, descendant of Joseph Culton Walker and Jane Moore, Rockbridge County, Virginia
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
SuzanneFrantz... 1359660100000 
JudyWisehart 1359668618000 
beebye 1359670227000 
mrgca1 1359926450000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic