Steve: I have some information on James Craig Taylor that I have included below. I have included the sources for some of the information. Most of the data came from Kathy Taylor (KJSTAYLOR@AOL.COM
) of Christiansburg, Virginia. James Craig Taylor's grandparents were James Craig and Anna Montgomery and great-grandparents were John Craig and Mary Cox. I'm sure that Kathy would be delighted to hear from you. I hope this information helps you. Regards, Susan Bromm
Descendants of Creed Taylor
Generation No. 1
1. CREED1 TAYLOR was born Bet. 1790 - 1800. He married MARY MONTGOMERY CRAIG June 16, 1824 in Montgomery County, Virginia1, daughter of JAMES CRAIG and ANNE MONTGOMERY. She was born November 06, 17952, and died October 24, 18723.
Children of CREED TAYLOR and MARY CRAIG are:
i. GEORGE2 TAYLOR, b. Abt. 1825; m. ELIZABETH TERRY.
2. ii. JAMES CRAIG TAYLOR, b. September 23, 1826; d. October 25, 1887.
3. iii. ANN ELIZABETH TAYLOR, b. Abt. 1830.
iv. CREED TAYLOR, JR., b. Abt. 1832.
Notes for CREED TAYLOR, JR.:
Creed never married and was shot by Charles Bower and later died from the wound.
v. JOHN LOCKE TAYLOR, b. Abt. 1835; m. MALINDA W. CRAIG4, August 06, 1878, Hans Meadows, Christiansburg, VA5,6; b. July 25, 1836, Hans Meadow, Christiansburg, Virginia7,8; d. July 05, 1911, Christiansburg, Virginia9,10.
Notes for JOHN LOCKE TAYLOR:
John died leaving no children.
4. vi. MELINDA TAYLOR, b. October 13, 1836; d. June 25, 1906.
vii. ROBERT TAYLOR, b. Abt. 1838.
Notes for ROBERT TAYLOR:
Robert enlisted in the confederate Army and was killed at Malvern Hill. He was unmarried.
Generation No. 2
2. JAMES CRAIG2 TAYLOR (CREED1) was born September 23, 1826, and died October 25, 1887. He married CATHERINE REBECCA WADE December 23, 1851 in Montgomery County, Virginia. She was born February 29, 1832, and died May 28, 1893 in Montgomery County, Virginia.
Notes for JAMES CRAIG TAYLOR:
Hon. James C. Taylor was a son of Creed Taylor, who was born in Bedford County, Virginia, and came to Montgomery County about 1814. In this county Creed Taylor married Mary Craig, who was a daughter of early and prominent settlers here. He was a relative of Chancellor Creed Taylor, and named for him. In Christiansburg, December 24, 1851, James C. Taylor married Kate R., daughter of William and Rebecca (Crow) Wade. Her people were also prominent among the settlers of Montgomery County. The parents of both Mr. and Mrs. TAylor are now deceased. Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Taylor; Wade, now a farmer of this county; Mary E., lives in Christiansburg, Virginia; Maggie V., deceased; Bettie M., lives at Richmond; Robert C., lives at home; Florence and Archer, deceased; Kate, lives at home. The birth of James C. Taylor was in Montgomery county, on the 23rd of September, 1826, and he has served his country in two wars. He held commission of captain in the State militia, under Governors Letcher and Wise, and was one of Montgomery County's volunteers in the Mexican war, as was his brother George M. Their company was commaned by Captain James F. Preston, and the regiment served in Mexico under General Zachary Taylor. For the defense of Virginia in the Civil War, James C. Taylor was one fo five brothers to enter the service: George, John, Creed, and Robert serving with him the cause of the South. All but Creed held commissions. Lieutenant Robert C. was killed at Malvern Hill by a minnie-ball throguh the head. John L. was wounded at Manassas by a minnie-ball. James C. was captain, then major of the 54th Virginia infantry. Among his engagements the most severe was the battle of Middle Creek, Kentucky,a dn the engagement at Princeton, Mercer County, WEst Virginia. James C. Taylor read law with Preston & stapls, and wa admitted to the bar in October, 1850. He has practiced in the State Courts from the Justice of the Peace to the Supreme Court of Appeals, and in the National courts from District Court to the Supreme Court of the United States. He was a member of the Virginia Senate from 1863 to 1865; was Attorney General, 1869-74; was member of the House of Delegates, 1881-3. His residence and post office address, Christiansburg, Montgomery County, Virginia. (From 1606-1888 Virginia & Virginians, Eminent Virginians by R. A. Brock, Vol. 1, H.H. Hardesty, Publisher, Richmond and Toledo, 1888, found at Alderman Library, University of Virginia F225 .B7 1888)
Children of JAMES TAYLOR and CATHERINE WADE are:
i. BLANCHE3 TAYLOR, b. October 18, 1853, Montgomery County, Virginia; d. June 26, 1854, Montgomery County, Virginia.
5. ii. WADE TAYLOR, b. May 21, 1855; d. December 25, 1936.
6. iii. MARY EMILY TAYLOR, b. July 12, 1857, Montgomery County, Virginia; d. October 25, 1922.
7. iv. MAGGIE VIRGINIA TAYLOR, b. November 04, 1860, Montgomery County, Virginia; d. October 22, 1882.
8. v. ELIZABETH MONTGOMERY TAYLOR, b. December 05, 1862, Montgomery County, Virginia; d. October 1937.
vi. FLORENCE TAYLOR, b. April 10, 1865, Christiansburg, Montgomery County, Virginia; d. May 30, 1865, Christiansburg, Montgomery County, Virginia.
9. vii. ROBERT CREED TAYLOR, b. November 14, 1866, Montgomery County, Virginia; d. June 24, 1915, Montgomery County, Virginia.
10. viii. KATHERINE CRAIG TAYLOR, b. August 11, 1870, Montgomery County, Virginia.
ix. JAMES ARCHER TAYLOR, b. June 26, 1872; d. August 1872.
3. ANN ELIZABETH2 TAYLOR (CREED1) was born Abt. 1830. She married DR. WILLIAM PEPPER. He was born 1813 in Germantown, North Carolina, and died July 17, 1900.
Children of ANN TAYLOR and WILLIAM PEPPER are:
i. WILLIAM3 PEPPER, JR..
ii. MINNIE PEPPER.
4. MELINDA2 TAYLOR (CREED1) was born October 13, 1836, and died June 25, 1906. She married REV. CHARLES A. MILLER April 20, 1864. He was born November 15, 1819, and died March 26, 1893.
Children of MELINDA TAYLOR and CHARLES MILLER are:
i. MARY3 MILLER, m. DR. HENRY EDMUNDSON.
ii. ANN MILLER.
iii. FRANCES MILLER, m. CALVIN GRAHAM.
iv. CHARLES MILLER.
v. EMMA MILLER, m. FRANK JUNKIN.
vi. MINNIE MILLER, m. ? MORRIS.
vii. ARCHER MILLER.
Generation No. 3
5. WADE3 TAYLOR (JAMES CRAIG2, CREED1) was born May 21, 1855, and died December 25, 1936. He married MARGARET ANNE BARNETT December 23, 1879 in Roanoke, Virginia. She was born March 16, 1860, and died February 11, 1911.
Child of WADE TAYLOR and MARGARET BARNETT is:
i. ROBERT WADE4 TAYLOR, b. March 11, 1881; d. April 20, 1945; m. SALLY BROWNE HERMOINE MOREL, March 26, 1920, Savannah, Georgia at St. Paul's Episopal Church.
6. MARY EMILY3 TAYLOR (JAMES CRAIG2, CREED1) was born July 12, 1857 in Montgomery County, Virginia, and died October 25, 1922. She married ROBERT MCCANSE GARDNER September 10, 1879 in Montgomery County, Virginia. He was born December 1843, and died February 06, 1906.
Children of MARY TAYLOR and ROBERT GARDNER are:
i. INDIA MCCANSE4 GARDNER, b. June 16, 1880; m. CHARLES SUMPTER.
ii. MARGARET T. GARDNER, b. November 28, 1883; m. BLAIR PITZER.
iii. HARRY H. GARDNER, b. January 30, 1887; d. October 1924, Raleigh, NC; m. FRANCES DOSS.
7. MAGGIE VIRGINIA3 TAYLOR (JAMES CRAIG2, CREED1) was born November 04, 1860 in Montgomery County, Virginia, and died October 22, 1882. She married JOSEPH H. KENT February 19, 1878 in Montgomery County, Virginia. He was born October 09, 1855 in Montgomery County, Virginia.
Child of MAGGIE TAYLOR and JOSEPH KENT is:
i. JAMES DEVEREAUX4 KENT, b. October 25, 1879.
8. ELIZABETH MONTGOMERY3 TAYLOR (JAMES CRAIG2, CREED1) was born December 05, 1862 in Montgomery County, Virginia, and died October 1937. She married HARRY HAZARD POWERS May 02, 1883 in Montgomery County, Virginia. He was born 1863 in Richmond, Virginia/Richmond, no Co., VA.
Children of ELIZABETH TAYLOR and HARRY POWERS are:
i. KATE HARRISON4 POWERS, b. April 26, 1884; d. April 29, 1884.
ii. LESLIE POWERS, b. November 27, 1885; d. June 22, 1914.
iii. WILLIAM HAZARD POWERS, b. October 16, 1889; d. July 29, 1890.
iv. HARRY HAZARD POWERS, b. March 03, 1892; m. ALICE ALLENA MCGEE, November 08, 1915.
v. JAMES FREDRICK POWERS, b. August 22, 1893; d. November 16, 1893.
vi. ROBERT DUDLEY POWERS, b. January 28, 1895; d. Bef. 1960.
vii. ALICE LEFEVRE POWERS, b. July 04, 1899; d. May 16, 1900.
9. ROBERT CREED3 TAYLOR (JAMES CRAIG2, CREED1) was born November 14, 1866 in Montgomery County, Virginia, and died June 24, 1915 in Montgomery County, Virginia. He married HELEN MAY PELTON October 05, 1896 in Montgomery County, Virginia. She was born October 31, 1873 in Waukesha County, Wisconsin, and died October 12, 1942.
Children of ROBERT TAYLOR and HELEN PELTON are:
i. ROBERT MILO4 TAYLOR, b. September 06, 1897; d. June 20, 1949; m. (1) LOLA M. GRISSOM; b. April 16, 1895; d. September 27, 1961; m. (2) MELISSA SUE FRENCH, June 12, 1938.
ii. KATHERINE HELEN TAYLOR, b. March 01, 1899, Montgomery County, Virginia; d. March 09, 1899, Montgomery County, Virginia.
iii. JAMES CREEDE TAYLOR, b. July 26, 1901, Montgomery County, Virginia; d. July 15, 1978, Christiansburg, Montgomery County, Virginia; m. NANNIE CORNELIA FERRELL, December 18, 1930, Roanoke, Virginia; b. October 22, 1894; d. August 25, 1979.
10. KATHERINE CRAIG3 TAYLOR (JAMES CRAIG2, CREED1)11 was born August 11, 1870 in Montgomery County, Virginia. She married SAMUEL HARRIS HOGE11 October 02, 1889 in Montgomery County, Virginia11. He was born April 06, 1860 in Montgomery County, Virginia11.
Notes for SAMUEL HARRIS HOGE:
Samuel Harris Hoge married Kate C. Taylor, daughter of ex-Attornery General James C. Taylor, lawyer in Roanoke. For years he was the partner of his brother Colonel John Hampton Hoge, and for eight years postmaster of Roanoke. He is an orator of the best order, keen incisive in presenting his points. He was once or twice the nominee of the Republican party in the Sixth District for Congress and once represented Patrick County in the Legislature of Virginia. He was Commonwealth Attornery for Radford 1892-3 and was assistant U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Virginia 1907 to 1910. He was the Republican candidate for Governor of Virginia in 1924. (The Family of Hoge by James Hoge Tyler, page 74, CS 71 .H712 1927).
Children of KATHERINE TAYLOR and SAMUEL HOGE are:
i. KATHERINE DEJARNETTE4 HOGE11, b. December 05, 189011; d. October 23, 1927; m. THOMAS MAUSE DARNALL.
ii. SAMUEL HARRIS HOGE, JR.11, b. November 03, 189311; m. (1) GLENNA BELL; m. (2) NANCY ST. CLAIR.
iii. CAROLINE HAMPTON HOGE11, b. December 18, 189911; m. WILBUR AUSTIN, January 1925.
iv. BARBARA HUME HOGE11, b. June 01, 190211; m. WILMER BULLA ROGAN, January 15, 1925.
v. ELIZABETH MONTGOMERY HOGE11, b. May 11, 190511; d. September 12, 1906, Roanoke, Virginia11.
1. James Craig and Anne Montgomery Bible, (This bible had been transcribed on the Radford (VA) Historical Society website), Mary Taylor married June 16th 1824.
2. James Craig and Anne Montgomery Bible, (This bible had been transcribed on the Radford (VA) Historical Society website).
3. Compiled by Betty Montgomery Powers, "Genealogy of the Taylor Family 1610-1926," 'Mary Montgomery Craig, daugher of Capt. James Craig and Ann Montgomery, married Creed Taylor, a nephew of Chancellor Creed Taylor. She was born in 1794 and died Oct. 24, 1872.'.
4. John Craig, Will of John Craig, (Located in the Montgomery County, Virginia records room, Will Book 8, Page 331), '3rd I desire that tract of my farm now occupied by my tenant Charles Furrow and known as my Furrow place to my daughter Melinda W. Craig, the lines of said farm to be run so as to embrace about one hundred yards of land west of any improvements now made on said Furrow place the line severing the said place bequeathed to Melinda W. Craig from that part bequeathed to my son John Craig....'.
5. Bible in the hands of Mrs. William Craft, Christiansburg, VA, John and Emmeline Craig Family Bible, Craig family bible, Marriages:Married by the Rev. C. A. Miller, J. L. Taylor and M. W. Craig at Hans Meadows, August 6, 1878.
6. Compiled by Betty Montgomery Powers, "Genealogy of the Taylor Family 1610-1926," 'John married a cousin, Melinda Craig, and died leaving no children.'.
7. Bible in the hands of Mrs. William Craft, Christiansburg, VA, John and Emmeline Craig Family Bible, Craig family bible, births:Malinda W. Craig was born 25th July 1836.
8. Craig Family Cemetery, Christiansburg, Virginia, Cemetery tombstone:Melinda Craig,wife of John L. TaylorBorn July 25, 1836Died July 5, 1911.
9. Craig Family Cemetery, Christiansburg, Virginia.
10. Bible in the hands of Mrs. William Craft, Christiansburg, VA, John and Emmeline Craig Family Bible, Craig family bible, deaths:Melinda W. Taylor departed this life July 5,1 911.
11. James Hoge Tyler, The Family of Hoge.