Search for content in message boards

James L. Woods

Replies: 0

James L. Woods

Posted: 1555179981000
Classification: Query
James L. Woods married in Albemarle Co., Va, 1811, Sarah Britt, daughter of Obediah Britt. James was born ca 1785. They came to Barren Co., Ky ca 1818 probably in a party with the Britts, and settled in the southern part of the county. Sarah died here ca 1843 and James L. died here ca 1856. They had at least three children: James L. Woods Jr, who died the year before his father, America Helen Woods who married James M. Clack, and Susannah who married a Ragland and went to Missouri. Now my concern - After 50+ years of genealogy, I find that most family groups moved together and settled in the same area. James L. Sr and Sarah settled in the same general area in southern Barren County as Obediah Britt. The Clacks, Fields, and the family of William Johnson Woods settled in the far northern part of the county, some forty+ miles from James. George Berry settled at Glasgow, about halfway in between. America Helen Woods married James M. Clack. Unless they were acquainted in Virginia, it isn't likely they would have met. After all the children were gone, James L. bought land in the northern part of the county from James M. Clack. I don't know if he ever moved there as he died soon after the deed was made. James M. Clack was the son of John Clack and Elizabeth Woods. I believe James L. and Elizabeth were brother and sister. Also, James L. was closely associated with the William Johnson Woods family. If anyone has any information about these people, I would certainly be grateful if you would share. Thanks.
Martha Harrison

Find a board about a specific topic