Search for content in message boards

Old Wills

Replies: 3

Re: Old Wills

Posted: 1241488904000
Classification: Query
Some years ago, I was trying to find any wills/probate for early 1800's in Addison Co. Do not remember all the facts but was told most burned as did many records in other areas due to fire.
However, a friend who was a professional genealogist referred me to land records. That is the greatest source that I also believe is underutilized. They not only show where your ancestor had land, but when they bought it and when they sold it.
Some other things I have found while searching the Addison area land records:
1. Witnesses who were related
2. Many times the records recorded either side of my ancestors was a brother/sister.
3. If a will included land, then the will was copied into the land record. I hit gold with that one.

You could also contact Addison Probate Court, 7 Mahady Court, Middlebury, VT 05753. Phone: (802) 388-2612.

Otherwise, your quickest source for the land records is your local LDS branch library. They can order the appropriate microfilm for you to read at their library for a very small fee. Anytime I have gone to one, they are extremely helpful and always had a great time.
Also remember that Addison County is not divided by townships but by their towns. I tried to find my ancestor under Bridport but did not find them until I tried Addison. Very hard to read at first, but use their indexes and after awhile get used to it.

Good Luck

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
borboletas 1241345611000 
pjhelm 1241488904000 
borboletas 1241598525000 
Blueyedsusie 1241787502000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic