Search for content in message boards

reply about Turner family

Replies: 0

reply about Turner family

Posted: 1412955871000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Turner, Barclay
Dear Mr Pender. I just read your message from 2006 today, Oct 10, 2014. I got a little confused about your known information about my Uncle Omar Turner's family. He was my uncle by marriage to my father, Geo W Barclay Sr's younger sister, Louise Barclay Turner. Louise was born est 1907, Omar was the same age. Omar and Louise had 3 children. Two by legal adoption, Oledia was about 7 at the time. Betty Jo was an infant. Later, in their 40's, they had Curtis Ray Turner, around 1949. I do not know the whereabouts of Oledia, after she and her husband and 5 children lived in Redlands, Tx. Betty Jo and her husband and 2 girls lived in Las Vagas, NV. I was told at the time of the death of Omar and Louise that Betty Jo and Curtis had been unable to find Oledia in regard to the settlement of the estate and thereafter. Curtis Ray and his wife and four daughters live in the area of Sugarland, south of Houston. Maybe Richmond.

This is what my mother told me when I was writing my Barclay book about my father's family. Mrs Turner, Omar's mother was very devout Church of Christ. The church of Christ congeration also met at Mount Zion church with the Baptist. All went together to church when the respective preachers came to preach. Bible study and singing school were also held there. Mrs Turner was the Bible teacher much of the time. The Turner family moved to Chester, at the Gulf Pump station when the four sons were school age. Thus providing husbands for four girls, is the way mother put it.

Of all our family, Omar was the best husband. He was devoted to Louise. He was mild in manner and very gentlemanly. He worked for Gulf Oil, I forget the name of the town right now, on the Texas side. It was near Sheveport La. I visited them there when Curtis Ray was born and about six months old. He was 10 years younger than I. At that time Oledia was also there. She was recovering from child birth with her fourth daughter. We went over to Sheveport, a short distance away. Betty Jo was about the age of my sister and a couple of years younger than my brother. At the time of Curtis Birth, Betty Jo would have been about 17 years old. Curtis Ray was a surprise. Louise was diagnosed as having a tumor that was fast growing. The second opinion was with Watt Barclay in Wdv. He diagnosed her as pregnant.

Omar's employment was with Gulf Oil in Vidor later on. Omar was also a Church of Christ minister much of his adult life.

This is about all I know about the Turner family. Best regards, Teddy B Pope, fat little ole retired school teacher lady living in Beaumont, Tx and former fightin' Texas Aggie

Find a board about a specific topic