Search for content in message boards

Gunfight in August 30 1872?

Replies: 3

Re: Gunfight in August 30 1872?

Posted: 1336693444000
Classification: Query
According to my grandparents' tale there was a shootout at the railroad depot which involved one of my ggrandfather's son, Jesse Blackston Crawford, along with several other men.

I haven't investigated this but it would account for him being in another county later. I do not know why the shootout occurred and there may have been one in the other county as well.

Remember in the 1870's Texas, along with other states were dealing with the after effects of the war. Many fights gun and otherwise occurred. The "carpetbaggers" were crawling all over as the old folks told and both sides of the armies suffered loss of land and even life.

Our county, as I understand in, did not vote to leave the US and I do know that there was a Dr Gann, a Union soldier wounded and recuperating at home, left his home to go somewhere and when he didn't return, his family found him hanging from a tree.

I was told my ggggrandfather commissioned corn during this time, though I'm not sure for which side, maybe the North and it was his son who was in the shootout.

Our state had a lot of "violient", please no offense to anyone as I have family who could have doted out and family who received this violence, in it's history. We were basically a New Territory, unlike the East and surviving meant you had to be able to protect your family as well as provide shelter and food.

A lot of my family were of some background with Native American influence, though some were years and years back. Some of our settlers came here for a new start, some included a new name.

We are one of the states that "Remember the Alamo" background is known even in many countries as so few were so brave to face so many. Texans didn't give up easy. Still don't.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
PFazzini86 1299941946000 
arthisth2 1336693444000 
phillipfazzin... 1336734989000 
phillipfazzin... 1345575608000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic