Search for content in message boards

Phillips

Replies: 23
Posted: 1264596540000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jones, Klepper, Gilliam
This is really long. It seems that I had asked Dixie this question before. This is only a portion of a very long response.
Pattie

Indiana Circuit Court (Floyd County)

page 86

State of Indiana

Floyd County

I Henry W Smith clerk of the Probate Court of said County do certify that on the eighteenth day of May in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty nine, Enoch Ferguson and Isaac Ferguson of the County aforesaid, appeared personally before me and having been duly sworn and depose and say that the original instrument filed in my office and of which the following is a true copy and purporting to be the last will and testament of Philip Klepper therein named late of the County of Floyd farmer deceased was duly signed and sealed by the said Philip Klepper on the day of the date thereof in the presence of the said Enoch Ferguson and Isaac Ferguson, who signed their names thereto as subscribing witnesses at the request of the said Testator to the due execution thereof by him; and in the presence of each other; and that the said Testator did then and there declare the same to be his last will and testament in the presence of the said deponents: and the said deponents further say that they understood and verily believe that the said Testator was at the time of the execution thereof was of sound disposing mind and memory and that he has since deceased.

I Philip Klepper of Floyd County and State of Indiana, farmer, do make and publish this my last will and testament hereby revoking and making void all former wills by me at any time heretofore made, and first I direct that my body be decently interred in the buring ground of Coffman's School house in a decent Christian like manner: and as to such worldly estate as it has pleased God to intrust me with, I dispose of the same as follows: first I direct that all my debts and funeral expences be paid as soon after my decease as possible out of the first moneys that shall come into the hands of my executor from any portion of my estate. Also I direct that a fair valuation and appraisement be made by three judicious neighbors of all my said estate including my household furniture and after being signed with their names that a copy of the same shall be given by them to my executor and I do direct that all my household furniture and stock farming utensils and all the goods, chattel as I may be possessed of at my decease excepting such articles hereafter bequeathed to my beloved wife shall be sold by my Executor at public auction on a reasonable credit -- First I bequeath to my beloved wife Mary one bed and furniture all the cupboard shelfware and one oven, french pot, one small pot skillet shall remain the absolute property of my beloved wife and also

page 87

the money arising from the sale of one cow; all the chairs; one looking glass, and all the fowls if she shall be living at my decease: and the money arising out of all my personal estate remaining I direct that my executor pay to my daughter Mary Winingar one dollar, and the remainder to be equally divided between my daughters Rebecca and Nancy Winingar and I also direct that my son Jacob pay to my daughter Frances Jones eighteen dollars as my son Jacob is indebted to me thirty six dollars and I bequeath to my son Jacob the remainder of the thirty six dollars: and I do hereby make and ordain my esteemed friend John Loughmiller executor of this my last will and testament. In witness whereof I Philip Klepper the testator, have to this my will, written on one sheet of paper, set my hand and seal this thirteenth day of April, one thousand eight hundred and thirty nine.

Philip Klepper X his mark (SS)

Signed sealed and delivered in presence of us, Enoch Ferguson, Isaac Ferguson.

And I do further certify the foregoing to be a true copy of the last will and testament of Philip Klepper deceased late of said County and that John Loughmiller hath duly proven the same according to law, and that administration of the goods chattels rights credits moneys and effects of the said Philip Klepper deceased with the said will, annexed, is granted to the said John Loughmiller and the said John Loughmiller is authorized to administer the same according to law.

Witness my hand and the seal of said Court this 18th day of May 1839.

Henry W Smith Clk

page 90

At a Probate Court for the County of Floyd begun and held at the Court house in the City of New Albany in said County on Monday the twelfth day of August in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty nine.

Present: The hon. Seth Woodruff, sole judge

ordered that all letters testamentary and of Administration issued and granted by the Clerk during vacation be and they are hereby confirmed --

John Loughmiller, administrator of the Estate of Philip Klepper deceased, files Inventory and appraisment of the Estate, and a Sale bill of the same --

page 153

Tuesday 10th November 1840

-----

In the matter of the estate

of Philip Klepper dec.

Now at this time comes John Loughmiller Executor of said estate and reports his account of the receipts of one hundred and thirteen Dollars and sixty five cents and it is ordered that he be charged with that sum. And he also at the same time presents and files his vouchers showing the disbursment of one hundred and nine dollars and thirty one cents and It is ordered that said sum be passed to the credit of said Executor. --

Children of TEMPERANCE GILLIAM and PHILLIPKLEPPER are:

i. FRANKIE AUGUSTUS7 KLEPPER.

ii. REBECCA KLEPPER.

iii. P JAMES KLEPPERCLEPPER, b. February 15, 1793, Nashville, Washington Co., Tn; d. May 01, 1880, Hill Co. Tx.Bur Ft.Graham Cemetery, Whitney Hill, TX; m. (1) CHRISTIANA WINFRED COLLIER, August 12, 1812; b. November 20, 1795; d. October 08, 1837, Battle Creel, Marion Co, TN; m. (2) MARY POLLY JONES, March 09, 1838, Franklin Co., Tn; b. August 20, 1809, TN; d. 1892.

Notes for P JAMES KLEPPERCLEPPER:

233. (P.) JAMES KLEPPER/CLEPPER was born 15 Feb. 1793

Nashville, Washington Co., Tn.; son of Phillip and Temperance (Gilliam) Klepper;

died 1 May 1880 Hill Co., Tx.; buried Ft. Graham Cemetery, Whitney, Hill, Tx.

In 1811 & 13 James Clepper paid taxes on 1400 acres in White Co., Tn. in the

bounds of Capt. William Ridges Company, as did a Samuel Clepper; he paid taxes

in Franklin Co., Tn. in 1812. He is in the 1830-60 Marion Co., Tn. censuses. The

1860 census shows value of real estate $12,000 and value of personal estate

(including slaves) $25,075.00. Purchased property in Montgomery Co., Tx. 1865 and

listed in the 1870 Evergreen, Washington Co., Tx. census.

Marion Co., Tn. was formed from Indian Lands in 1817. James and his brother

V.John Klepper (234) purchased 106 acres for $700 on waters of Battle Creek at

the foot of the Cumberland Mountains from Isaac H. Roberts and John Mc Murray.

He received land grant #8934 for 2,000 acres in 1837 from the state of Tennessee

located on the west side of Battle Creek.

Marion Co. Deed Book B pg 300 (WPA) shows his name as "P. Jas. Clepper" (Court

House burned and the original copy of this deed has been lost). From the Marion

Co. land records we know he bought and sold land and slaves until 18 Feb. 1863

when he sold 4,700 acres to Patrick H. Jones (original Plantation was 5,500 acres

© there is a point (a rock outhang at the top of the mountain) called Klepper

Point) and set out for Montgomery County, Texas, leaving one son Thomas Wesley

Clepper in Marion Co., Tn.

Texas seceded from the Union on Feb. 1861, Tennessee in June 1861, joining the

Confederate States. James's youngest son, Julius Jabez joined Co. A. Tn. Bat.,

(later part of Hood's Brigade), sons James, Lemuel Gilliam, Joseph C(ollier) and

Thomas Wesley also served in the CSA, as did his grandsons Lorenzo Dow and

Charles Duncan Clepper.

The Histories written largely by men and women of the North teach that that

The War between the states was fought to hold the slaves. Fact, Abraham Lincoln

did not free the slaves. His Emancipation Proclamation did not free Gen. Grant's

slaves (Commander of the Union Army) nor one slave in non-ceceding States. It was

issued as a military measure to prevent England from recognizing the confederacy,

and raising the Blockade. Lincoln acknowledged that he did not care whether the

negro was free or slave. He emphatically stated that he had no intention to give

him political or social rights. General Lee, Commander of the Southern Army, had

freed his slaves. In fact there were more slaveholders in the Northern Army

315,000, than in the Southern Army of 200,000. The slaves were freed by the XIII

Amendment offered by a Southern man, John Brooks Henderson, after Lincoln's

death.

In 1863, Grant attacked the Confederate positions around Chattanooga. The

Confederate line stretched for about 12 miles, from Missionary Ridge to Lookout

Mountain. On the first day of the battle, General Joseph Hooker drove the

Confederate forces from Lookout Mountain in the "The Battle Above the Clouds".

Union success in the battle finally came after three days of fighting.

It is not known if James left Tennessee with his family before or after the

battle on Missionary Ridge, but it is believed he started out in a wagon train

from Jasper to Chattanooga on the Alabama and Mobile Trail, going by way of

Talladega and visiting with son Moses for a time. Later he probably went on to

visit son James in Autauga Co., Al. James had joined the Confederate Service 2

June 1862, Co. A 56th Alabama Regiment at Montgomery, Al. He was discharged by

Surgeon's Certificate at Halls Mill, 13 Nov. 1862 after receiving a cannon ball

in his leg. Hood invaded Tennessee 16 Nov. 1864. On 30th Nov., Schofield's Union forces

inflicted heavy losses on Hood in the Battle of Franklin. Finally at the Battle

of Nashville, Union forces smashed Hood's army on Dec. 15-16, 1864. Lee

surrendered to Grant at Appomattox on 9th Apr. 1865 and on May 4th the

Confederate forces in Alabama and Mississippi surrendered. The last confederate

troops surrendered on May 26, 1865.

It is believed that James stayed in Alabama until the end of the Civil War;

(his brother V. John Klepper was living in Boone Co., Ar. and with the war in

full force in Al. it is possible he may have been in Ar. for a time).

Nevertheless, I believe he stayed in Al. until the end of the Civil War before

starting out on the Alabama, Choctaw and Natches Trail from Montgomery to

Vicksburg; crossing La.; the Red River & the Sabine River and on to Montgomery,

Tx., arriving ca 1865-6. His sons Lemuel Gilliam Clepper & Joseph C(ollier)

Clepper had moved to Tx. by 1838-39 and his son John by 1857.

After the war, Radicals (Northern sympatihzers) rose to power in Texas state

politics. Lawlessness gripped the state as race riots flared and the Ku-Klux Klan

became powerful. From 1865 to 1869, the United States ruled Texas under a

military government. After the state adopted the "Carpetbag" Constitution of

1869, Congress readmitted Texas to the Union on 30 Mch. 1870.

The first records we find of P.James Clepper in Texas are in the land records

of Montgomery Co., Tx. (Deed book W pg. 28), "J. A. Kachler, Charles Clepper,

James Clepper and John Clepper sold 177 acres in the Mary Corner Survey on 9 Oct.

1866" and moved to Washington Co., Tx. in the B. M. Hatfield Survey in what is

now Lee Co. (Lee County formed 1874 from part of Washington Co). P.James, John,

Jabez Julius, Pleasant Gilliam, Lorenzo D., Joseph C. Clepper, J. M. Fuqua, John

A. Ktchler, Wm. Harris and Redick Overton were all in the 1870 Washington Co.,

Texas census. P.James, John, Charles D., Pleasant G., James R, Jabez Julius and

Lorenzo Dow Clepper paid taxes in Washington Co., Tx. in 1872. They must have

left Wa. Co. shortly after 1872. Lorenzo Dow moved on into Burleson Co., John A.

Kachler to Lee Co., John to Coryall Co. and later Palo Pinto Co.; Charles D. to

Grimes Co. and P.James and sons Pleasant Gilliam, and Jabez J. Clepper to

Whitney, Hill Co., Tx. The first railroad came to Hill Co. in 1879 and created

the towns of Whitney and Aquilla in western Hill Co.

1/married on 12 Aug. 1812 to Christiana Collier; born 20 Nov. 1795; daughter

of (Henry?) Collier; died 8 Oct. 1837 Marion Co., Tn.; buried in small cemetery

beside Hy 41 between Kimball and Mt. Eagle, Tn., near the Martin Springs Baptist

Church Ext. just out of Jasper, Marion Co., Tn. Her grave is marked with a

headstone carved out of one piece of rock with the following engraved,

"Christiana Collier Klipper departed this life on the eighth day of Oct. 1837 in

the 42nd year of her age", this is the oldest marker in this small cemetery.

Located at the head of her gravestone is a stone crypt, the oldest crypt in

Marion County I'm told. (Wonder if this is his mother, Temperance (Gilliam)

Klepper as she died ca 1826??) Also buried in this cemetery is Patrick H. Jones

born 17 May 1824 and died 13 Dec. 1907. P.James Clepper sold all his land in

Marion Co. to Patrick H. Jones when he left Tn. in Feb. 1863.

P.James and Christiana had 13 children. 2/married on 9 Mch. 1838 in Franklin Co., Tn. to Mary "Polly" Jones; born 20

Aug. 1809 in Tn.; believed to be daughter of Richard Jones born 1789 in Va.;

Mary is in the 1880 census of Bosque Co., Tx., age 70, widow, born Tn. father

born Va., mother born Ga.; died 1892; buried Ft. Graham Cemetery, Whitney, Hill,

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
semcm 989928000000 
sunnyafternoo... 1020540383000 
crapshooter10... 1263677246000 
PatriciaHamil... 1263740057000 
Jody Hamabata 1264043610000 
bonedigger_21 1263875604000 
Jody Hamabata 1264042743000 
grs1106 1264052635000 
PatriciaHamil... 1264595144000 
PatriciaHamil... 1264596540000 
per page