Search for content in message boards

The Slave Owing Calhoun's

Replies: 0

The Slave Owing Calhoun's

Posted: 1557726120000
Classification: Query
Hi everyone,

I'm on here just to get down to the truth and to explore new discoveries in regards to my Ancestry research. I am Black American by the way with Enslaved African blood in me. This post is written in courtesy of the European Calhoun's of South Carolina.

According to DNA, I have quite amount of European in me. I have a lot of Irish to be exact. So, I am not sure just like every other native Black American If a European slave owner fathered a grandparent of mines.

Last year, I discovered that my 3rd Great grandfather, Scipio Calhoun Ball (b. 1800) and his family was Enslaved by a U.S. senator name John Ewing Colhoun (b. 1749 - d. 1802).

I discovered the ownership on Ewing's will. Ewing owned Keowee Plantation. My grandfather and his brother were listed by name on his Will, merely at the age of 2 years old. Ewing passed away in Abt. 1802, which leaves the boys about Age 2 or 3 during the time of his death.

Also, another Enslaved brother of theirs was about ten or more years older - he was owned by John C. (Vice President & Ewing's First Cousin) and Floride Calhoun (Ewing's daughter & John C. Wife-2nd Cousin). John C. owned Forthill Plantation. So, it left me with a lot of questions.

In addition, I have also found a cousin via DNA who is actually the great granddaughter of another Enslaved woman name Caroline Calhoun Walker, who was Ewing's son - James Edward Colhoun's Enslaved woman at Millwood Plantation. Her grandmother was also placed on a will. Caroline was named on Ewing's son will.

My main purpose is to locate my grandfather's parents. According to oral history, we actually had an Enslaved couple from the "ships (slave ships)". It's a dream to return back to the ships so I can know where they came from in big 'ole Africa. By finding out how Ewing got them or where he got them, it can help.

I'm really curious on what you all may know on the Colhoun's/Calhoun's.

Unsurprisingly, Calhoun is actually my maiden name. I look forward for you alls help and I will be really thankful.

I am also aware that these men were Pro-Slavery.

Thank you,

Ash

Find a board about a specific topic