Search for content in message boards

Lamkin and Lamar wills Edgefield County SC

Replies: 0

Lamkin and Lamar wills Edgefield County SC

Posted: 1374440221000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lamkin, Lamar, Siebles, Statham
Here are three will abstracts that were submitted to USGW Archives for Edgefield over a year ago. Inexplicably and despite several follow-ups with the coordinator for that county, they still are not up so I'm putting them here. North Carolina USGW is so awesome about getting submissions online and available to others, I thought everyone did such a great job but I guess not.

[If the "preview" on this post is any guide, this is going to be a garbled mess, but at least the information will be out there]

1 - Thomas Lamar

Edgefield County ScArchives Wills.....

Lamar, Thomas January 27, 1801

Copyright. All rights reserved.
http://www.usgwarchives.net/copyright.htm
http://www.usgwarchives.net/sc/scfiles.htm

File contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives
June 24, 2012, 5:43 pm

Source: Microfilm Copy Of Will Transcript From South Carolina Archives
Online Written: January 27, 1801 Recorded: 1802

Thomas Lamar will abstract - Edgefield District, South Carolina - recorded
c1802

To wife Lydia a decent support and maintenance from out of the profit of estate, she making no waste of the same.

To son Mark, two negroes and equal proportion of all my lands on attaining the age of twenty-five.

To daughter Eleanor Ardis [assuming this is her married name, will transcript has typovers so it's hard to read in places], one negro, she having received one already.

To son Silas, two negroes and equal proprotion of all my lands, excepting the ferry, with the rest of my sons at his coming to age at 21.

To daughter Jemima, two negroes at her coming of age or on marriage, if before that.

To son Abraham, two negroes and equal proportion of all my lands on attaining the age of 21, excepting the ferry.

To daughter Betsy, the Ferry at the Bluff opposite the sand bar, known as Lamars Ferry; five acres of land adjoining; forty dollars yearly from the profits of said ferry for purpose of schooling and clothing her; two negroes, viz Isaac and Jins (Jim?) and if either of them should die before Betsy receives her portion or comes of age, then one or two other negroes should be given to her from and out of the estate exclusive of her equal proportion of what the negroes may increase to after the legacies are paid.

To son Tom Petter (Peter?), two negroes and equal proportion of all my lands, excepting the ferry, at attaining 21.

All my stock of cattle and hogs to be equally divided between all the children, and whatever the number the negroes may increase to besides the aforementioned legacies to be equally divided between all the children after the death of my wife Lydia.

The boys to have the lands equally divided between them in equal portions excepting the ferry and if one of the children should die before coming of age or receiving their part, their parts to be equally divided among the
survivors, the sons only inheriting the lands.

Executors: wife and son Abraham

Thomas Lamar (Seal)

Witnesses: William Stewart, James Mathis, Dinah (her mark) Mathis

Will written 27 Jan 1801

Recorded in Record Book A, "Labelled Inventories and Wills," p. 443

Additional Comments:
Thomas's widow, Lydia, was the daughter or William and Mary Murfey. William died about 1801 and Lydia died about 1835.

2- Peter Lamkin

Edgefield County ScArchives Wills.....

Lamkin, Peter June 10, 1826

Copyright. All rights reserved.
http://www.usgwarchives.net/copyright.htm

June 24, 2012, 6:23 pm

Source: Microfilm Copy Of Will From South Carolina Archives Online
Written: June 10, 1826
Recorded: July 26, 1826

Peter Lamkin will abstract - Edgefield District, South Carolina

To wife Helen all my estate real and personal after paying my just debts to be by her enjoyed during her life, and at her decease, then to my nephew Edmund Lamkin Whatley the tract of land I live on containing eight hundred acres together with all the crop horses cattle hogs farming
utensils etc that may be on the plantation at my wife's decease.

Also to Edmund Lamkin Whatley the following negroes: Ned, Sam, George, Sompey, Pollison, Nance and her increase, Mary and her increase, Betty the wife of Ned.

The balance of negroes and other property not herein specified as willed to Edmund L. Whatley, at the death of my wife Helen to go to her nieces in such manner and at such time as Helen should think proper.

Written 10 Jun 1826

Peter Lamkin (Seal)

Witnesses: Joseph Thompson, Jesse (?) Arthur, J. L. Oliver

[It's not clear whether the following was added after the signatures on the original will, but they do come after on the transcription] It is my wish that Col Abner Watley and my wife have the sould management of my affairs.

Recorded in Will Book "C", p. 205 and 206
Recorded 26 Jul 1826
Jn Siskins O. E. D.

Additional Comments:
Peter's wife, Helen, was the daughter of Thomas and Lydia (Murfey) Lamar.

3 - Helen Lamkin

Edgefield-Greenville County ScArchives Wills.....

Lamkin, Helen September 15, 1830

************************************************ Copyright. All rights reserved. http://www.usgwarchives.net/copyright.htm

June 24, 2012, 3:01 pm

Source: Will Transcript From South Carolina Archives Online
Written: September 15, 1830
Recorded: April 27, 1831

Helen Lamkin will abstract

Whereas the last will and testament of my husband Peter Lamkin deceased left me the time and manner of distributing the residue of his property (apart from the specific legacy to Edmund Lamkin Whatley)....

First, to my niece Elizabeth Helen, daughter of Doctr (sic) William Lamkin, the negro child named Emma and her future increase.

Second, to my nieces, daughters of my brother Mack Lamar - five dollars each (if they should claim it), to my nieces Cornelia Siebles and Betsy Siebles five dollars each (if they should claim it) and the same sum of five dollars to my other nieces that I have not named (if they should
claim it).

Third, The residue of the estate of my deceased husband Peter Lamkin real personal and special I give devise and bequeath to Helen Ann Whatley daughter of Col Abner Whatley) and Caroline Lamkin Statem (daughter of my
sister Martha) to be equally divided between them--their heirs executors or assigns....

Fourth, whatever property may come to me from my mother's estate to my sister Martha during her life and at her death to her daughter Betsey.... and I do hereby place the same in the hands of Col Abner Whatley in trust for the purposes aforementioned...the property to be entirely free from
any control or ownership of William Siebles (the husband of my said sister Martha) in any manner or way whatsoever....

Executors: Col Abner Whatley of Edgefield District SC and Doctr (sic) William Lamkin of Lincoln Co. Georgia.

Helen Lamkin (Seal)

Witnesses: J. L. Oliver, Rebecca Whatley, Nancy Oliver

Codicil 5 Apr 1831 - change in division of residue of property between Helen Ann Whatley and Caroline Lamkin Statem: to Helen Ann Whatley a negro girl named Harriet and the land called the Pickle place; whole of the residue to Caroline Lamkin Statem including the furniture I bought since Capt Lamkin's death---and the carrriage M. Statem has or is to buy for me I also give to Caroline Lamkin Statem.

Helen (her mark) Lamkin (Seal)

Witnesses: William Deloach, Abraham Rutland, J. L. Oliver

Recorded Will Book C, page 339
Recorded on 27 Apr 1831
Jn Siskins O.E.D.
Box 17, Package 621

Additional Comments:
Peter Lamkin's will was recorded 26 Jul 1826 in Edgefield District. His legacy to Edmund Lamkin Whatley identifies him as his nephew.

Helen Lamkin was the daughter of Thomas Lamar (will recorded c1802,Edgefield) and Lydia (Murfey) Lamar, whose will was recorded in Edgefield in 1835.

Helen's niece, Caroline Lamkin Statham, daughter of her sister Martha (Lamar) Siebles, was married to Barnet Statham, son of William and Jane (Davis) Statham of Lincoln Co., Georgia. Barnet and Caroline lived in Greenville SC and eventually moved to Yalobusha County, Mississippi, where
they were living as of the 1860 census.

Find a board about a specific topic