Search for content in message boards

*Need Help* Brick wall Surname Lipsie / Lipsey

Replies: 0

*Need Help* Brick wall Surname Lipsie / Lipsey

Posted: 1318287279000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lipsie, Lipsey, Huber, Gertson, Carson, Jarvie
Hello ancestry members,

My name is Matthew Lipsie, I have been doing on and off research in to my lineage when the time is available. Lately i have been very busy and recently just took up my research once more. So here is my problem, and my plea for help.....

I have hit a wall that i can't see to climb for the life of me, and money is to sparse right now to even imagine hiring a pro to assist my search efforts. So any information anyone has stumbled upon in research of their own and could forward to me or any hints and tips to better search historical records or even if threes and volunteers out there would be greatly appreciated.

This is the line that i have collected research for:
I. Gary Lee Lipsie b. 1964 (father)
II. Thomas George Lipsie b. 1941 (grandfather)
III. Walter Alexander Lipsie b. 1919 d. 1950
IV. George Lipsie / Lipsey b. 1889 d. 1953
V. Robert Lipsie / Lipsey b.1848 d.1900
VI. Thomas Lipsey b. 1807? d. ?

Now to get into specifics. From my father to his great grandfather George were all born in Pennsylvania, USA. I was first generation outside of PA. Robert and further back i Believe are from Ireland, possibly even Scotland. As this name does not sound either to me i theorize that the lipsey family's moved here from another country unknown by myself. I have found documentation showing multiple Lipsey households in Ireland in the late 1700's early 1800 and forward.

An explanation of the surname change from Lipsey to Lipsie. Using numerous federal census reports i traced backwards from my grandfather stepping back each generation matching up individuals, birth dates, siblings and so forth to arrive at the last link ive been able to be certain is a relative of mine and that is Robert Lipsey. His wife Agnes was widowed in 1900 and moved a few times within the state of PA and i think at some point either a clerical error or maybe illiteracy changed the spelling of the name from Lipsey to Lipsie. I can see the change take place from one census to the next. With all the same people living in the household of each census.

I think i will start with my Great Grandfather Walter now. He was married to Virginia Huber. MY grandfather told me that he passed in a truck accident when he was only 9. I have this obituary for him...

http://search.ancestry.com/browse/view.aspx?dbid=7040&pi...

Other than some of the information that can be taken from this obituary i know very little about him as my grandfather never really knew him to well. But the information in the obit also matches the names of census reports regarding his parents. I do know he had 2 children my grandfather and a daughter Diane.

Now his father George. He was married to Gertrude Olivia Gertson. He had three children Walter Alexander, George Arthur and Althea Agnes. Like his father he was a coal miner.

Robert, was the first of my particular line of Lipsie's to arrive in America. He was married to Agnes Jarvie. Through census reports i gathered that Robert was born possibly in Ireland. Census reports however conflicted with one bit of information that i found elsewhere which is his birth date. A census report says he was born after 1850 while his grave marker reads 1848-1900. The grave is a actually a family plot with his wife and 3 of his children buried beside him. The photo was found on findagrave.com. Here is a copy of his obit...

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/21458193/person/1088203449/me...

Robert had several children, Thomas James, James Andrew, Minnie, Robert, George, Alexander, William, Elizabeth and John. Census reports site him as a coal miner. The first census report i was able to find showing Robert and Agnes was for 1880. Agnes was listed born in Scotland and Robert Ireland. I then began to search Irish and Scottish records and found a census report from 1871 in Bothwell parish, lanarkshire Scotland. Listing Robert as living in a household with parents Thomas and Elizabeth (Carson). Also listed in the census were children, Andrew, Thomas and Margaret.

It just so happens there is a Robert and Thomas Lipsey living close to one another in PA in the 1880 census.
I once came across a ship manifest listing Robert and mother Elizabeth coming to the US in 1875 but failed to save it and haven’t been able to find it again.

The final link ive been able to find is the most speculative and that’s the information on Thomas Lipsey and the possible relation to the Robert of my line. Coincidences in documents and noted facts have lead me to believe they are related but i am not certain. I’m basing this off of father and sons shared profession, the ship manifest with mother Elizabeth and Robert coming to the US together, birth places and possible brother Andrew living close in PA at time of 1880 census.

I have more info to share that is just the start. If anyone can lead me in the right direction, can share information or would like me to share more information i would be more than happy too. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read my post and who may take a few moments to help a fellow researcher.

I can be reached by email at mlipsie111@yahoo.com

Matthew Lipsie

Find a board about a specific topic