Search for content in message boards

Heagey family

Replies: 1

Heagey family

Posted: 1540306351000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Heagey, Smith, Seiss
I am posting this for an acquaintance.

Donald Frederick Heagey of Adams County, PA was my grandfather. His father was William Daniel Heagey of Adams County, PA. His father was John W. Heagey; born 6/28/1860, Westminster, Carroll County, MD; died 4/23/1913, Adams County, PA; buried Evergreen Cemetery, Gettysburg, PA.

On his death certificate, signed by William Daniel, his parents are listed as John Smith and Mary Ann Smith, both birthplaces unknown. I can find nothing about the Smiths. In the 1870 Census the Emmittsburg, Frederick County, MD household consisted of Wm H Heagey (35, farm laborer, born PA), Barbara Heagey (31, keeping house, born MD) and John Smith (9, born MD). Some family trees list John W. Heagey's parents as unknown; some list his father as John Smith and his mother unknown.

According to David Heagy's family tree: William Henry Heagy married Barbara Ann Virginia Seiss on March 19, 1867 and they had one child during their marriage. Their son John W was born in June 1861 in Carroll, Maryland and passed away on April 23, 1913, in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, at the age of 51.

So...were John W. Heagey's parents John and Mary Ann Smith? Who were the Smiths? Were his parents William Henry Heagy and Barbara Ann Virginia Seiss? Was he legally adopted by the Heageys? Did he take their name because he lived with them? I would appreciate any information anyone has regarding my great great grandfather. Thank you.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
edittmar1 1540306351000 
judyartley261... 1543458377000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic