Search for content in message boards

Seeking Shawnee Tribal descendants(TECUMSEH) relatives

Replies: 322

Re: Tecumseh and Tecumapease decendants

Posted: 1200282155000
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: Armstrong
Gloria,

In the book "Indian Blood - Finding your Native American Ancestor" by Richard Pangburn, there is much on your James Armstrong.You should go to your local library & if they don`t have a copy, ask them to do an interlibrary loan.
ARMSTRONG: A Deleware / Wyandot / Seneca/ Shawnee name. There were members of the Armstrong family among the tribes early on. In the 1760`s, John Armstrong & his native wife were among the Indians dealing with Penna Indian trader James Kenny.Kenny noted their conversation in his journal. Why did the whites want back those that had been captured & adopted, Armstrong wanted to know, "seeing they were satisfied to live with ye Indians?" Kenny replied that "their fathers & mothers & friends longed to see them & was not satisied without seeing them."
John Brickell, who had been adopted by Delewares, saw several white men who lived with the Indians including William wells, William May, Christopher Miller, Jeremiah & Robert Armstrong, & Mahaffy. The 1817 Treaty of the Miami Rapids said that robert Atrmstrong "in recognition of his services as interpreter & guide to US officers, "was to be given 640 acres of land. Robert Armstrong had been captured in Penna. in youth & adopted by the Wyandots. He married a half breed Cayuga woman & lived on his land, "one of the most beautiful spots in the Ohio land. Robert died in Ohio in 1825.
James Armstrong (Zeshauau) & Silas Armstrong (Sa-Nou-Do-Yea-Squaw), chiefs of the Deleware Indians living on the waters of the Sandusky., were also given in accordance to the treaty passed by Congress on March 3, 1817. Later in 1829, James Armstrong, Silas Armstrong, John Armstrong (Mahantoo, & the Widow Armstrong (Tishatahhomms) were provided for when the Delewares, Wyandots, Senecas, & Shawnees were considering a move west. Some went some did not, but all moved off their land. Some who went later came back to Ohio, & they were white enough to pass for white, melting into the general population.
The Armstrongs were prolific & they intermarried with whites, blacks, & other tribes.
I hope that this helps you out some in your research. I am known as ShawneeMary, & am Tecumseh`s 7th Generation of our Shawnee, that makes him my 4 Gr. G`pa. We are working on fulfilling 4 Gr. G`pa Tecumseh`s 7th generation prophesy, reuniting our tribes & making aliyah to our homelands, & regaining ground.
I can be reached at ShawneeMary@Embarqmail.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
marieclaxon10 1298655715000 
lwcornerstone 1299616181000 
JudyDegennaro 1016404786000 
Gloria Prine 1150493815000 
Beverly McClanahan 1152503038000 
ShawneeMary7t... 1200282155000 
browncr 1008878111000 
CTriplett62 1008936880000 
Lor 1049244530000 
Beverly_McCla... 1008992489000