Search for content in message boards

Seeking Shawnee Tribal descendants(TECUMSEH) relatives

Replies: 315

Re: Tecumseh and Tecumapease decendants

Posted: 1008160264000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1020911076000
Surnames: Tecumseh, Cross, Penn, Richardson
Hi Cheryl, That was all quite interesting. However, I personally don't put a lot of stock into the writings of Allen Eckert. When I was a child, he often came to visit my grandmother to gather information. After much pleading some time later, she was invited to see the outdoor drama, I emphasize DRAMA here, and asked to speak after the program. All she had to say was, "This is a drama indeed." And then she just walked off and refused to ever go again. Mr. Eckart has never given her any credit in any of his books. Quite frankly, that suits us just fine. We would not want to be a part of anything that was not whole-heartedly truthful. I do believe Methoasa was Jennie's mother. Jennie was definitely Shawnee. My local Cherokee friends say that Tecumseh's mother was Cherokee. To tell you the truth, I just flat don't know. I go to the Talige Nation often, and they do raise some interesting points. They are located in Lucasville, Ohio. Chief Collins is over this branch of Cherokees. There is the drawing of the Battle of the Thames by a talented artist, but I believe Tecumseh is over-glorified in this picture. There is a great portrait which was done, I believe in 1823, by a friend of Tecumseh's. It can be found in Chillicothe. I have seen copies of this painting elsewhere. There may be one on the web. In it, he has somewhat short hair, hazel eyes, and the "look" that prevails in our line of descendancy. I do have pictures from his grandchildren on down, and the resemblance is remarkable from one generation to the next. This would not come from Jennie's husband, as he was a white man, by the name of Shadrach Penn. After a few years of looking, one can spot a Penn from a Cross, hahaha. I suppose the best description of Tecumseh's appearance can best be found in the book by Mr. Richardson, The Trip to Walpole Island and Sardis. I look like my father mostly. My twin brothers look like my mother and her side of the family (the Tecumseh line), but amazingly, I have two granddaughters with "the look". The line is usually somewhat short, dark hair, hazel or brown eyes, round face, an olive-like complexion, they are very sociable, generous, tender-hearted, and sometimes gregarious. They are all full of fun, loving a good joke more than anything. Other traits are being musical, religious, extremely intuitive, and outdoorsy. Of course, I am only speaking of my line. By the time Tecumseh was born, there were numerous European settlers around and most Natives spoke English. The local Shawnee/Cherokee/Melungeon tribes had no problem with intermarriage. That is a modern-day problem, one I hope never finds it's way back into these hills. I'd like to point out that the European settlers also didn't have a problem with it. I don't know if that was something "peculiar" to this area or if it was nationwide at that point in time. I do know it was also practiced in WV and KY. Most of my information has been "handed down", as my family has been very good about keeping records for centuries now. There isn't too much that I'll reveal to anyone, not even on my personal files, as I've seen how the twisting of the truth can be devastating, as it was to my grandmother. No one is interested in what I refer to as the "human side" of Tecumseh. Not enough blood and guts, I suppose. I will say he was a wonderful man, with the best of intentions, full of fun and quite intelligent. He was also a Christian. He used the terms Manito-Sun-Great Spirit instead of God-Son-Holy Spirit, as did his tribe and other tribes used their own languages. Therefore, due to a lack of communication, they were considered barbarians which eventually led to many deaths, in my humble opinion. And, one day we all will answer for our deeds. Take care, and have a Merry Christmas! Bev
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MaryCross44 984223103000 
MaryCross44 984747496000 
MaryCross44 984748481000 
Whisper16255 1364422273000 
Ethelmay51 1406996599000 
Pennance57 986371107000 
CTriplett62 1008023210000 
Beverly_McCla... 1008160264000 
jerusha281 1078105027000 
Beverly McClanahan 1078149402000 
per page