Search for content in message boards

Children of Thomas D. BICKHAM

Replies: 1

Re: Children of Thomas D. BICKHAM

Posted: 1522972756000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bickham, Davis
I know this is an old thread from 2001, but I want to correct some information in the original message.

There is a lot of misinformation out there about the family of Thomas Davis Bickham, Sr. (1802-1853) due to a history of the Bickham family titled "Your Ancestors" that was compiled by Ruby E. Emery and Rubye E. Henson in 1977. It is chock full of errors and just wrong information. The biggest error it makes is that it confuses the two men "Capt. Thomas Davis Bickham, Sr." (1802-1853) and his son, "Rev. Thomas Davis Bickham, Jr." (1836-1889), and actually combines them into one man. Further, it provides a completely false genealogy for the several generations of Bickham men before Capt. Thomas Davis Bickham, Sr. If you have a copy of this ("Your Ancestors - A History of the Bickham Family" by Ruby E. Emery and Rubye E. Henson), it is best that you throw it away.

Capt. Thomas Davis Bickham, Sr., who was born in Philadelphia in 1802, died in Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio. Also, the death date you have (16 Apr 1853) is incorrect by one day. He died 15 Apr 1853. From the time of his second marriage (to Missouri Davis) in Jan 1842, until his death in 1853 he lived in Hamilton County, Ohio, and that is where he died. Further, he is buried in Wesleyan Cemetery (Sec F, Lot 13), in Cincinnati, and has a very large grey granite marker inscribed with his name: "Capt. Th. D. BICKHAM - DIED Apr 16, 1853 - AGED 51Y & 2D." See Findagrave Memorial No. 73851492.

I am aware that there is another Findagrave Memorial for him (Memorial No. 101263660), which gives an incorrect death date for him ("16 Apr 1853"), but it correctly states that he died in Cincinnati, Ohio. However, that Findagrave Memorial Page states that his grave is in the "Maineville Cemetery" in Maineville, Warren County, Ohio. But, this information is incorrect. Further, there is a very poor photo of a headstone (almost unreadable) on this bogus Findagrave page. However, by changing the contrast on that photo, I am able to read the name on it: "REVEREND T. D. BICKHAM." I have no information that would imply that Capt. Thomas Davis Bickham, Sr., (1802-1853) was ever a "Reverend" or a preacher. In fact, in the 1850 Census, he was listed as a "Tavern Keeper" at Mill Creek, Hamilton County, Ohio. (If this headstone for a "Reverend T. D. Bickham" is actually in the Maineville Cemetery in Warren County, it is not the same man as Capt. Thomas Davis Bickham, Sr.

Capt. Thomas Davis Bickham, Sr., did have a son named "Thomas Davis Bickham, Jr." (1836-1889), and he was a preacher (or "Reverend"), but he moved to Kansas in 1869, and was a Free Methodist preacher in Labette County, Kansas, before he established the Salvation Church of Christ in Chatauqua County, Kansas, in 1880. Rev. Thomas Davis Bickham, Jr., died 4 Sep 1889 in Americus, Lyon County, Kansas, and is buried in Leib Cemetery, Labette County, Kansas. There is a nice photo of his headstone on his Findagrave Memorial page (No. 75768802).

I have more info on the Bickham family, and the children of Capt. Thomas Davis Bickham, Sr., if you are interested.

I hope this helps.

P. G. Pete Normand, Jr.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Niderstros 983361600000 
PeteNormand19... 1522972756000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic