Search for content in message boards

Living in Shelby between @1840's to @1860's

Replies: 2

Living in Shelby between @1840's to @1860's

Posted: 1549737196000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Glick/Click, Curts/Kurts, Highland, Edgell, Parr, Specker, Schumacher, Goodsell, Toms
Seeking knowledge on the following subjects:
Diana Glick/Click born @ 1830 in Ohio. Wed to John Highland in Shelby Co, on 31 Mar 1850. They're enumerated together as newlyweds in the 1850 Census of Dinsmore Township taken 13 Sep 1850, dwelling #90. The preceding family, dwelling #89, is headed by a Jacob Clike, who I believe to be Diana's father, but can't prove. Jacob's wife Nancy Clicke, at this time was his second wife, and Jacob was her second husband. She was the widow of Samuel Parr and her maiden name was Edgell. She married a third time to George Specker after Jacob died. Jacob's first wife and mother to Diana was named Sarah, who I believe was the daughter of a Lawrence "Low" Curts/Kurts and Anna Maria Barbara Schumacher. Low was enumerated in the Jacob Click household as an elderly widower in the 1840 Census of Shelby Co, (ED not stated). Assumptive reason being that he has Jacob's F-I-L. Low is likely a sibling of a Thomas Curts Sr., also living in Shelby Co, at this time. Anna Schumacher appears to have been the widow of Johann Peter Glick of Fairfield County.
Getting back to the young Highland couple, John and Diana, after 1850, they vanish into thin air, seemingly leaving no trace behind. I believe they had at least one child, a daughter named Sarah or Jane...let's call her Sarah Jane Highland, born sometime in the 1850's. She first appears in the 1880 Census of LaGrange County, Indiana, Milford Twsp, ED 024, living as a single servant in the Mynotte Goodsell HH. Later on, she wed to a Cornelius Toms on 1 Jun 1882 in LaGrange Co. She and Cornelius are my Great, great grandparents. I know concrete details from there forward. What I don't know is how and when she got to Indiana, nor what became of her parents, John and Diana, or if she had any siblings for sure. Thank you for reading and for sharing any insight you might have on these persons.

Trever Whetzel
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
teedawg73 1549737196000 
judyartley261... 1550773054000 
teedawg73 1550860316000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic