Search for content in message boards

William Utley Sr d Wake Co, NC

Replies: 1

Re: William Utley Sr d Wake Co, NC

Posted: 1544831392000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Utley
I do not have these records, but I don't doubt they exist. They should be collected and verified. I am copying this from research prepared by William G Scroggins at http://www.thehennesseefamily.com/media/Utley1_John_Jr.pdf concerning John Utley Sr and John Utley Jr of Goochland Co. Some of the names of the children of John Utley Jr were the same as names of the children of William Utley of Wake Co, and it has been long suspected that they might be brothers. With the Edgecombe deed above by John Utley Sr witnessed by William Utley, I think we have proof that John Utley Sr of Goochland was in Edgecombe with William Utley. John Jr and William were no doubt brothers and sons of John Sr.

"On 15 June 1731 John Utley sold the land upon which he lived to Anthony Hoggatt for 100 pounds. The 800 acres were on the north side of James River, partly in Goochland County and partly in Hanover County. The deed was witnessed by Thomas Cookson, John Utley and Robert Willis. There was no wife’s signature or release of dower.iii The grantor undoubtedly was John Utley, Sr. and the witness his son, John Utley, Jr., who had to have been 21 to serve as a witness and, so, born before 1710. This is substantiated by the appearance in court in 1735 of John Utley, who was identified as “Jr,” to have the age of his negro boy Sampson judged. This record clearly states that John Utley, Jr. owned Sampson and in Sampson is again mentioned in the 1762 will of John Utley, Jr.iv

The land which was sold to Anthony Hoggatt was originally on the Hanover-Henrico county line, and the Henrico portion fell into Goochland when Goochland was erected from part of Henrico in 1727 The land was sold to Hoggatt as the result of a court decision which was the final determination of a long standing dispute between Hoggatt and John Utley Sr. John Utley Sr can be tracked back into Henrico County records. John Utley, Sr. spent a lot of time in Court and at one point in 1735, his son John Utley, Jr. bailed him out of jail.v"
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
owlcullom 1544748271000 
owlcullom 1544831392000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic