At the moment...my pre-1796 SMITH research is not high on my 'to do list,' but I do note that there were quite a 'few' SMITHS for me to try to sort through. I am thinking DNA may help here.
Now, in looking over the Johnston Co. NC ROSSER-SMITH connections...I thought that a quick listing of information might be the right thing to do. Please keep in mind that this is only one group of ROSSER's because my James (nmi) ROSSER....had both siblings, uncles and cousins who also migrated out of VA and into the Johnston Co. and surrounding NC areas. *S*
The children of James (nmi) ROSSER m. Alice WORTHING were:
1. Sarah Ellis ROSSER, b. 1766; m. 17 Jan 1787, Abraham "Abram" Smith (bro of Alexander)
.............post 1800 migration finds Abraham d. 1815, Jasper Co., GA
2. John ROSSER; m. 1789, ___?___ VINSON
3. Rebecca ROSSER; m. abt 1787, Faddy WHITTINGTON
4. James ROSSER (Jr.); m. Lavina VINSON
5. Moses ROSSER
6. Elijah ROSSER; m. __?__, had at least one son, Martin ROSSER
7. William Isaac ROSSER (1779 NC- 1861 GA); m. 1792, Elizabeth "Betty" VINSON
8. Elizabeth "Betsy" ROSSER (1780-1803); m. Alexander SMITH (bro of "Abram")
9. Aaron ROSSER, b. 1781; m. ___?___
10. Elisha ROSSER, (1782 NC-1801 AL); m. Elizabeth Jane EVANS
..............at least one son, Henry Preston ROSSER
11. Benjamin ROSSER (1785 NC-1873 AL); m 1809 Hancock Co. GA, Elizabeth "Betsy' West VINSON
Please note...that Elizabeth "Betty" VINSON and Elizabeth "Betsy" West VINSON...are NOT the same woman, and they do NOT have a blood kinship. Those wishing further VINSON info can contact me, but...I will deal with that later. *S*
For the 1803 Johnston Co. NC land sale of 421 acres to John EASON...I think that the above listing explains the connections between Alexander SMITH, James ROSSER (Jr.), Faddy WHITTINGTON and Elijah ROSSER...who were all listed on the deed. The date 1803...tells me that this was part of the disbursement of the estate of James ROSSER Sr. who died in 1799...as a way to fund the move south to Hancock Co. GA.
What I have for Alexander and Abraham SMITH is that they were possibly the sons of:
Samuel SMITH (1709-1783) m. Edith WHITFIELD (1717-1785)
My notes for Alexander "Alex" SMITH indicates that he was married twice,
1st to Elizabeth "Betsy ROSSER in Johnston Co. NC
2nd after 1804 to Sarah F. JETER in Hancock Co. GA
...At the moment, I do not know which was the mother of Abraham ROSSER who served in the Civil War,
but I do note that this Abraham was the father of Alexander ROSSER m. Elizabeth THOMAS.
Abraham "Abram" SMITH m. Sarah Ellis ROSSER, my notes indicate that there was at least one son, Abraham SMITH, who also served in the Civil War.
My line happens to be descending from the youngest son of James (nmi) ROSSER and Alice WORTHING......Benjamin ROSSER m. Elizabeth "Betsy" West VINSON.
If I can be of any further assistance, just email me at kcks at gorge dot net.