Prior to the formation of Edgecombe COUNTY in 1741, it was known as Edgecombe PRECINCT starting from 1732. Edgecombe Precinct was formed in 1732 from Bertie County. According to the book "Abstracts of Deeds, Edgecombe Precinct, Edgecombe County, North Carolina 1732-1758", by Margaret Hofmann, "Records indicate that Edgecombe court of the early 1730s was probably held from place to place at plantations within Edgecombe. In the late 1730s and early 1740s, there seems to have been a courthouse of sorts near what is now Tillery, NC. By about the mid 1740s, the Edgecombe County courthouse at Enfield, NC was in use. Early in 1759, when Halifax County, North Carolina was formed from a part of Edgecombe County and the limit of Halifax County was set, one boundary was and still is Fishing Creek which flows just below Enfield. The Edgecombe Courthouse was then within the new County of Halifax. For this reason deeds in the Halifax County, NC public registry prior to 1759 call for lands within the huge area that Edgecombe covered in its very early days."
The first 6 Edgecombe Co. Deed Books, by the way, are actually the ones that cover Halifax County. Note, too, that wills were filed in the early courts, which is why this is important.