I have been stumped for many years trying to trace back further than my 2nd great grandfather, Evan Sawyer, in my Sawyer line.
The earliest info I can find is in the 1850 census for Camden County as follows..
Will Sawyer - age 32, abt 1818
Lydia Sawyer - age 58, abt 1792
Fanny Sawyer - age 27, abt 1823
Penelope Sawyer - age 25, abt 1825
James Sawyer - age 21, abt 1829
Evan Sawyer - age 17, abt 1831
I can only guess that Will, Fanny, Penelope, James and Evan are siblings and that Lydia is possibly their mother.
My Evan Sawyer goes on to marry Martha Upton abt. 1860. Last census I find him in is 1900. Cannot find the family in the 1910 census and by 1920, Martha Upton Sawyer shows up as widowed. They had at least eight children with some of them staying in NC and others going north to VA:
1) Abner D Sawyer - b. 1861 - m. 1884 Obania Midgette
2) Thomas Sawyer - b. 1862 - m. 1890 Nancy Brown
3) John James Sawyer - b. 1865 - m. 1897 Fannie Lenora Griffin
4) Elizabeth "Bettie" Sawyer - b. 1868 - m. 1) Thomas Branson Berry 2) Caleb Staples Forbes
5) Quinton Sawyer - b. 1873
6) Emma "Lula" Sawyer - b. 1874 - m. 1896 Robert W Anderson
7) William "Willie/Billie" Sawyer - b. 1879 - m. 1) Ora L ??? and 2) ???
8) Burwell Everett Sawyer - b. 1882 - m. 1910 Lucy Edith Davis
Would love to hear from anyone who has connections to this family or who can help me in my search to find Evan Sawyer's parents. Thanks!
Bethany Sawyer Sellers