Search for content in message boards

Martin Family, 1800

Replies: 347

Re: For Brian - Isaac & Moses Martin

Posted: 1292422445000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1548631489000
Surnames: MARTIN, WRIGHT
It is obvious there are some very serious MARTIN researchers here - me too.

I am descended from a man said to be, and known to us, as Charles Dather MARTIN, said to have been born ca 1818 in NC. Some early researchers jumped the gun and published that he was born in Burke, NC but we have no proof.

DNA proves us to be MARTINS, but our line is listed as an unknown line. That test showed us to be R1b1b2 meaning from the far northern European groups of Scotland, Ireland and England.

His mother was said to be and known to us as Tabitha MARTIN MARTIN, her maiden name amd married name both said to be MARTIN. We have no real proof that she was actually named Tabitha, only a Goodspeed bio saying it was TIBITHA and the common usage TABITHA.

Tabitha would have been born somewhere in the vicinity of 1795 and 1800 or so based on the ranges given in census extrapoltions. She is said to have married first a James MARTIN but we have no proof of a marriage so it may be she was not married when Charles D. was born. Does anyone know if she might have been the daughter or wife of the James MARTIN shown in the 1790 Burke, NC Census? Does anyone know if she might have been related to any of the Isaac MARTIN line? I did find a Tabitha who was a dauther of a William MARTIN - and another Tabitha who was a sister of Asa MARTIN of Wilkes, NC - this Tabitha was thought to have gone to Burke, NC after the death of Asa but nothing else on her.

What we do know and can prove by the children of Tabitha is that she married or lived with Willis H. WRIGHT in either Burke, NC or TN - but cannot find evidence of where a marriage took place. She evidently died in or near McMinn, TN between 1838 or 39 and 1846 when Willis WRIGHT married a Mahala NEWTON.

The only James MARTIN we can find who was in the right places at the right times to be the father of Charles Dather MARTIN was James C. MARTIN, son of General Joseph MARTIN but no proof of connection there either and no DNA of Genral MARTIN is shown anywhere that I can find - and this line does not answer queries.

The only Isaac MARTIN of the right time period I have a Will for was Isaac of Wilkes, and he mentions his land bordering that of "cousin James." I believe this is the Isaac MARTIN buried in Lincoln in 1820. I have often thought based on the naming patterns of the kids and business connections of Isaac MARTIN of Wilkes, NC is the same line as the Isaac MARTIN of Burke, NC. I have not found any DNA from corresponding MARTINS that would show if this were true.
= = = =
I found this account of an Isaac MARTIN in TN - does anyone know which Isaac this was. He was living with or married to a women named SARAH and hsd a son James, James appears to have been a teenager.

History of Hamblen County (TN)

Hamblen County was formed in 1870 from parts of Jefferson, Grainger and Hawkins Counties (BUT THIS ACCOUNT IS FROM A FAR EARLIER TIME PERIOD). I am posting all of it because it gives neighboring names.
- - -
Greenville. John Crockett, who in 1792, lived two miles East of where Morristown, Tennessee, is now located, near Phelps Smith, Richard Thompson and ISAAC MARTIN. John Crockett did not tarry long at the mouth of the Limestone River, after David was born. In fact, David Crockett in 1792, when his father lived two miles out on the Abington road East of Morristown, was a barefooted six year old boy running around the house, probably one of the regular Log cabin type of that day and time. The next move was to Cove Creek, where John and Mr. Thomas Galbraith built a mill in partnership.

In 1792-93 a road was laid out through what is now Hamblen County, and extended to the western limits of Jefferson County, where it was met by the road from Knoxville. This road afterward formed the line between the counties of Jefferson and Grainger, and became a section of the great stage route from Knoxville to Abingdon, VA. It was along this road that most of the early settlers located. Beginning at Morristown and going eastward was William Chaney, who lived on the lot now occupied by Joseph Brown's residence; Thomas Daggett, a little less than a mile beyond, and Phelps Read, about two miles east Morristown. In the neighborhood of Read were John Crockett, Richard Thompson and ISAAC MARTIN. Still farther to the east were Isaac Barton, Joseph Shannon and James McGhee. In the vicinity of Russellville and Whitesburg were Samuel Riggs, James Roddye, Caleb Witt, William Pulliam, William B. Roddye and Jesse Hoskins. Daniel Taylor located on the Holston River at Marshall’s Ferry. Sherrod Mayes and James Shields also lived on the Holston. John Evans was one of the first to locate on Panther Creek. Jesse Cheek settled at what is known as Cheek's Cross Roads, where he carried on a store for many years. A store was also opened there some time prior to 1810 by Deaderick & Wendell. About 1835 P. B. Anderson and James W. Deaderick, ex-chief Justice of Tennessee, and G. A. & G. H. Cheek were engaged in business at the same place during the thirties. An early settler just southwest of Morristown was Clisbie Riggs, who ran a still-house, while about three miles northwest were the Noes, David and John.
= = = =
And this showing an ISAAC MARTIN living in Grainger County, TN in 1810. All the surnames below are married into or somehow associated with the Charles D. MARTIN line.

1810 Grainger County, TN Census

39. Isaac Martin

40. Joel Martin

Page 18

1. Joel Witt

Page 19

33. William Bean 101-001

Page 21

17. Elizabeth Bean 001-20201

Page 7

4. Stephen Shelton 1001-1001-fpc's 1

5. David Holt 2111-3001

28. Sally Shelton

Page 8

2. Valentine Dodson

9. Thomas Hays

Page 11

37. Moses Right ((WRIGHT))

Page 13

6. Thomas Morgan

Page 15

41. Michael Holt 0001-101

42. John Holt

AAny light, or any clue or lead someone might have would be greatly appreciated. Mim

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
KathyGunterSu... 1292366233000 
Melv25 1292367889000 
fcspatti 1292368544000 
Melv25 1292368991000 
fcspatti 1292369372000 
Melv25 1292370181000 
oldnate 1292422445000 
oldnate 1292423207000 
Melv25 1292425291000 
oldnate 1292430287000 
per page