Some of the Hogan's that lived in Anson County moved to Lincoln County, Georgia. My wife's great-grandmother, Sarah Rebecca Hogan, was a descendant of these Hogans. I have the following info on James' ancestors (extractd from GEDCOM file by J. Baker). I would like to share info on the descendants of James Hogan.
Descendants of William Hogan
Generation No. 1
1. WILLIAM1 HOGAN was born in England?, and died November 05, 1734 in Virginia.
Notes for WILLIAM HOGAN:
15 acres, Kingston Parish, "Beg. at Mr. Clegg, near head of a branch of Winter Harbor Creek; to Jno. Diggs' land; trans of Michael Thompson." This William is an original immigrant as he is listed in this transaction as being transported by Mr. Thompson.
More About WILLIAM HOGAN:
LandPchse: December 22, 1682, Gloucester County, Virginia
Children of WILLIAM HOGAN are:
2. i. JOHN HOGAN, b. Abt. 1675; d. Aft. 1733.
3. ii. WILLIAM HOGAN, b. Abt. 1680, Cumberland County, Virginia; d. Abt. 1754, Cumberland County, Virginia.
Generation No. 2
2. JOHN HOGAN (WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1675, and died Aft. 1733. He married UNKNOWN.
Children of JOHN HOGAN and UNKNOWN are:
4. i. THOMAS HOGAN, b. Virginia.
ii. WILLIAM HOGAN.
iii. ZACHARIAH HOGAN, d. 1786, Louisa County, Virginia.
Notes for ZACHARIAH HOGAN: sworn to 11 Jun 1787 by James, Francis, & Elizabeth Hogan.
More About ZACHARIAH HOGAN: Probate: January 05, 1787, Louisa County, Virginia.
iv. JAMES HOGAN, b. 1733.
3. WILLIAM HOGAN (WILLIAM) was born Abt. 1680 in Cumberland County, Virginia, and died Abt. 1754 in Cumberland County, Virginia. He married (1) ELIZABETH GRIFFIN Abt. 1700. She was born ?, and died Abt. 1733 in Virginia. He married (2) MARGARET BANESTER Abt. 1734. She was born Abt. 1707, and died Abt. 1767 in Fauquier County, Virginia.
Children of WILLIAM HOGAN and ELIZABETH GRIFFIN are:
5. i. WILLIAM HOGAN, b. Virginia; d. Abt. 1788, Virginia.
ii. THOMAS H. HOGAN.
Generation No. 3
4. THOMAS HOGAN3 (JOHN2, WILLIAM1) was born in Virginia, and died ?. He married UNKNOWN.
Children of THOMAS HOGAN and UNKNOWN are:
i. THOMAS4 HOGAN
ii. DAUGHTER HOGAN, m. GEORGE GREEN
iii. WILLIAM HOGAN, b. Virginia; m. SARAH SULLIVAN, May 04, 1778, Linville Creek Baptist Church, Rockingham County, North Carolina.
Marriage Notes for WILLIAM HOGAN and SARAH SULLIVAN: married by Rev. John Anderson.
iv. JOHN HOGAN, m. MARY LOYD.
v. DANIEL HOGAN, m. SARAH LOYD.
5. WILLIAM3 HOGAN (WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born in Virginia and died Abt. 1788 in Virginia. He married SARAH SULLIVAN Abt. 1725. She was born in Virginia? and died Abt. 1760 in VA?.
Notes for WILLIAM HOGAN: owned land on 12 Mile Creek near John Hogan's (his cousin?) land on Cawtawba River.
Children of WILLIAM HOGAN and SARAH SULLIVAN are:
i. WILLIAM4 HOGAN, b. Virginia; d. 1783, Anson County, North Carolina; m. HANNAH HENDRICKS; b. , Virginia.
Notes for WILLIAM HOGAN:
Extracted from material provided by James Hurst: "William lived in Anson County, NC (Salisbury District) and owned land on Buffalo Creek (Mar 1774). The family had come from Orange Co. NC.
More About WILLIAM HOGAN: Probate: September 13, 1783, Anson County, North Carolina
6. ii. JAMES HOGAN, b. Virginia; d. Anson County, North Carolina.
iii. GRIFFIN HOGAN, b. Virginia; m. UNKNOWN CORDELL.
7. iv. SHADRACH HOGAN, b. Abt. 1734, Virginia; d. Bef. December 1800, Wilkes County, Georgia.
Generation No. 4
6. JAMES4 HOGAN (WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born in Virginia, and died in Anson County, North Carolina. He married SILENCE LANE. She was born Abt. 1730 in Virginia, and died Abt. 1803 in Anson County, North Carolina.
Child of JAMES HOGAN and SILENCE LANE is:
i. JAMES5 HOGAN, JR., b. Anson County, North Carolina.
7. SHADRACH4 HOGAN (WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1734 in Virginia, and died Bef. December 1800 in Wilkes County, Georgia. He married RUTH (???) in Anson County, North Carolina.
Notes for SHADRACH HOGAN:
Extracted from 'Early Records of Wilkes County, GA: 'Shadrack Hogan, dec'd. David Terrell, Ordinary, Wilkes Co. appointed Wm. Hogan of Lincoln Co. temp admr. Dec 6, 1800. Receipts of Shadrack Hogan, Jas. Hogan, Griffin Hogan, 1802, John Hogan, Wm. Wadsworth (married Ruth Hogan), Elizabeth Hogan, 1803 as legatees.' Administrator: William Hogan
'In Anson County, NC, Shadrach served as Justice of Peace. There are many land transactions, starting about 1762, and continuing until he resigned as JP on 7 Nov 1786 and moved to Rutherford Co., NC. Shortly after, they moved to Wilkes and Lincoln Co., GA. Again he was appointed JP in Lincoln Co., GA, Benson's List. There are land transactions there also, with Mary Gibbon and Griffin Hogan. Shadrach had land in Wilkes CO on Long Branch of Clark's Creek. In Nov 1800, he died leaving one minor son, Sylvaneus. Wm Moore was appointed his guardian. In Dec, Wm Hogan was appointed adm of his father's estate, James Hogan and Sylvaneus Gibson going his bond. John, James, and Elizabeth appointed others to represent them during the settlement. By 1802, receipts were received from Shadrach, Griffin, and John Hogan, and from Elizabeth, James, and Sylvaneus by 1803. Wm had received permission from the courts to sell Shadrach's land in Wilkes Co and the sale of personal items. We do not know where Shadrach and Ruth are buried, but the logical guess would be that they are buried in the Hogan Cemetery, located in the south-central part of Lincoln Co off Hwy 77 to the east of Gray's Creek on the west. Wm Hogan purchased the 100 acres on which the cemetery is located from Griffin and his wife, Mary Gibson, in 1801. There are unmarked graves indicated by natural stones at the head and foot, which just may be the graves of Ruth, Shadrach, William, and Mary (Gibson) Hogan. Until recently (1993), the land was owned by descendants.'
Children of SHADRACH HOGAN and RUTH (???) are:
i. GRIFFIN5 HOGAN, b. North Carolina; d. July 1827, Wilkes County, Georgia; m. MARY GIBSON; b. , North Carolina; d. Abt. 1802, Georgia.
ii. SHADRACH HOGAN, b. North Carolina; d. Aft. 1860, Jackson County, Georgia.
iii. JOHN HOGAN, b. Abt. 1766; d. Jackson County, Georgia.
8. iv. WILLIAM HOGAN, b. Abt. 1775, Anson County, North Carolina; d. October 1804, Lincoln County, Georgia.
Please reply by email with info on your Hogan ancestrors.