Search for content in message boards

LOOKING FOR THE REAL (my) John Brown? 1800 or 1808 Greenwich or Granville NY

Replies: 1

LOOKING FOR THE REAL (my) John Brown? 1800 or 1808 Greenwich or Granville NY

Posted: 1484034175000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brown
Gr, Gr, Gr, Gr grandfather Andrew Jackson Brown died in Civil War in1863 leaving my gr, gr, gr grandmother Lucy, an orphan. She was adopted by neighbors. Andrew's marriage certificate to Lucy's mother Eliza says his father was John Brown and mother was Huldah. Census records say Andrew was born in NY and his father was born in VT .
I found a John Brown born in VT living in Greenwich, Washington County NY in an 1855 NY state census as well as in the 1860 US Census. He's living w wife Huldah and two of Huldah's children from a previous marriage to Josiah Rogers, as well as two Brown children, Jane and Hannah. Both the census say this John was born abt 1808.
On the other hand,
I have DNA links to two people who have a John Bishop Brown born in NY in 1800, married to Lucy living in Granville, Washington NY . According to Census he had a son Andrew Jackson Brown, born in 1836.
I think I am in the right place (Washington county) I just need to straighten out my John Browns. I read the Cynthia Brown book--on the Browns of Washington county. It doesn't help rule out the 1808 Brown, neither he, nor Huldah is mentioned. John Bishop Brown is.
I reached out to my two DNA links... heard from one of them but nothing there to figure it out. Any ideas for next steps appreciated.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
snowden06039 1484059375000 
judyartley261... 1488314285000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic