Search for content in message boards

Harriet Conger Lewis

Replies: 0

Harriet Conger Lewis

Posted: 1328996116000
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Conger; Lewis
This is NOT my family tree; however, got caught up in researching it from a post on this message boards (Ref: Lewis post dated this week).
I've only been researching on this project for 3 days; however have acquired a great deal of information and posted to several trees that were researching this group of people.
I originally only caught George Lewis and Harriet Conger Lewis here in the 1900 census; however have learned much by finding much earlier census--Henry jumped around quite a bit on the census: ie Greenwich, NY for 1850/Brighton, Franklin Co, NY for 1860 and 1870 Sandgate, Bennington Co, VT census that told a much larger story without my realizing it; until I had researched another day's worth.

ALTHOUGH the obituary states that Harriet was born 4 April 1851--it does NOT jive with the 1850 census, taken in November 1850 that has Harriet included in the family--meaning that she was born April 1850/not 1851.

Harriet's father is Henry Conger b 1818; Harriet's mother is Orra LEWIS--who I further learned is the AUNT of Harriet's husband George Dallas Lewis.
With Ancestry tree "clues" I was able to take the Lewis line back another 4 generations--then able to make sense of the 1870 Sandgate census.

1900 Census--Ticonderoga--Prospect St p 9 of 42
Lewis, George 52 M 30 Sept 1847 NY
Lewis, Harriet 50 Apr 1850 5ch/4 living
Lewis, Orra 22 Single Sept 1877
Lewis, Edith 16 Jun 1883
Lewis, Georgie E 11 Dec 1888 **the subject of the Lewis post of several days ago

****** Ticonderoga Sentinal---MRS. GEORGE D. LEWIS---
Mrs Harriet---- After many months of illness from a stomach cancer Mrs. George D. Lewis passed away Sunday (July 16, 1903) at her home in this village. The disease began to develop about nine years ago, but not until about the beginning of this year did it prevent her from performing her household duties. Her patience and fortitude during the past few months were remarkable, and the approaching end was undoubtedly made easy by the feeling that she had left nothing undone in her duties to her family and that she possessed the good will of her neighbors and a large circle of friends. ***Mrs. Lewis' maiden name was Harriet A. Conger. She was born at Greenwich, NY April 4, 1851. but for the past nine years has been a resident of this village, having come here from Keeseville. She leaves besides her husband, three daughters, Orra L., Edith J. and Georgia E.. and one son. Burnell. Two sisters. Mrs. Isabell Thew and Mrs. H. Varney.of Keeseville, and two brothers, William and Earl, both of Keeseville. also survive her.
The funeral services were held at the house at two o'clock on Tuesday afternoon. Rev. G. W. Easton officiating. Those from out of town who attended were: Mr. and Mrs. Earl Conger, Mr.and Mrs. H. Varney, Mrs. Isabelle Thew and William Conger. Keeseville: Mrs. Allen Lewis of Troy. Interment was in Mount Hope Cemetery, Ticonderoga

Find a board about a specific topic