Search for content in message boards

Russell Family in Easton

Replies: 1

Russell Family in Easton

Posted: 1313033235000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Russell, Deuel, Briggs, Dennis, St. John
For some years, I have searched for the names of the parents of my first documented Russell ancestor who was Richard Russell. Richard appeared in Easton, New York, in the 1810 census next door to his father-in-law Ebenezer Duel/Deuel/Diwel. Richard was born between 1786 and 1791 and married Permelia/Melia Duel/Deuel/Diwel. This couple moved to Ohio.

During the search for Richard’s family, I have looked into the histories of the many Russell families of early Easton. I have eliminated some local Russells, and currently I am focusing on the extended family of Thomas Russell and Abraham Russell as likely to include the father of Richard: Daniel Russell --> Thomas Russell --> Abraham Russell --> Joseph twin Russell --> Joseph Russell --> John Russell. This Russell line originated in Dartmouth and was originally Quaker.

From various sources, I have compiled this partial descendant report for Thomas Russell, but this report should be viewed as a research draft and not a research source. Thomas below had a father named Abraham as well as a brother and a son by that first name. Opportunities for research error are many, and records are scarce. Also many marriages seemed to be between cousins in distant degrees. There were many Russell families in early Easton, most related somehow, a few unrelated. CORRECTIONS WELCOME.

Thomas Russell b: 1738 in Dartmouth, Bristol, Massachusetts, d: Bef. 1831
...... + Edith Sherman b: 1745, m: 13 Jan 1763 in Dartmouth in Bristol County, Massachusetts, d: 1786

............2 Abraham Russell b: 1763 in Dartmouth, Massachusetts, d: 1837 in Easton, Washington County, New York

............ + Catherine Briggs m: 30 Nov 1786 in Dartmouth in Bristol County, Massachusetts—no children with Abraham

............2 Philip Russell b: 1765, d: 11 Sep 1822

............2 Mary Russell b: 1767

............ + Charles Sowle [Soule?] m: 1788 in Dartmouth in Bristol County, Massachusetts (likely a cousin in some degree to Deuel family)

..................3 Edith Sowle

............2 Abigail Russell b: 1770 in Dartmouth in Bristol County, Massachusetts

............2 Rachel Russell b: 1772 in Dartmouth in Bristol County, Massachusetts

............ + Noah Lapham m: 1793 in Dartmouth in Bristol County, Massachusetts

............2 Daniel Russell b: 1773 in Dartmouth, Massachusetts

............ + Mary Unknown m: Bef. 1795

..................3 Abraham Russell

............2 Sarah Russell b: 1776

............2 Humphrey Russell b: 11 May 1778 in Dartmouth, Bristol, Massachusetts

............ + Ester Cousins b: 22 Dec 1782 (I am not sure of this name.)

..................3 Thomas Russell b: 11 Aug 1807 in Granville, New York

..................3 Hannah Russell

.................. + Uriel K. Briggs b: 1791 in Easton, New York, d: Aft. 1860 (MAYBE the son of Catherine Briggs, who was wife of Abraham Russell in her second marriage)

........................4 Seneca Russell Briggs b: Abt. 1837

........................4 Abraham Russell Briggs d: 1903 in Williamstown, Massachusetts

........................4 Hannah A. Briggs b: 1827

........................ + Richard B. Russell b: 16 May 1821, m: 17 Jan 1866 in Greenwich, New York, d: 18 Feb 1892 (Born too late to be the Richard that I am looking for—son of Jethro Russell)

........................4 Oliver P. Briggs

........................4 Philip R. Briggs

........................4 Isaac Briggs

........................4 Russell A. Briggs

............2 Bathsheba Russell b: 1780 in Dartmouth in Bristol County, Massachusetts

............2 Thomas (Junior) Russell b: 1783

I recently obtained a partial copy of a list of people who lived in Road District #10 in Washington County in 1795, The copy was supplied by Ms. Earline Houser of Greenwich, New York. No doubt that the list shows people living in my ancestors’ neighborhood in 1795, but I do not see a name that clearly connects to Richard. I do suspect that Daniel and Abraham Russell on the list have a significance in my search, but I can make no definite connection. (Some of the non-Russell names on this road list belonged to people who had many lines of descent, and other researchers might find the list either useful or interesting.)

The road list included Abraham Russell (4? residents in his household) directly above Daniel Russell (2 residents). Both are listed just a few names from George Diwel/Duel (5) and his son Ebenezer Diwel/Duel (5). (In a small, neat hand, someone has written Richard Johnson between the names of George and Ebenezer.) .

The list is from “p. 27.” I can read some names only because I know them from other sources. The top of my copy is clouded, and the original page was larger than my copy. Each name is followed by a numeral that probably represents the number of people in each household.

William ****by 3
Phillip ***** 11?
John ***** 1
Richard ma a ********** 6
Ebenezer Jones? 2
Abraham Russell 4 or 11
[Here my copy becomes clear.]
Daniel Russell 2
Jacob Benson 2 or 12
Robert Dennis 3
Allen Potter 8?
George Bentley 1
John Fish 5
Ephraim Fish 5
Gideon Bowditch 2
Abraham Closon 4
George Deuel or Diwel 5 [father of Ebenezer]
[Here someone in a small, neat hand wrote “Richard Johnson.”]
Ebenezer Deuel or Diwel 5
Thomas Dennis 9
Bentley att Diwels 1
Ezra? St. John 4
William Talman 2
Bengm Bartly? 8
Benajah Barker 8
Wiiliam Barker 1
Batty hired man 1
Gilbert Palmer 1
Benjm Fish 5
For att anma******* 1 [This phrase seems to end in the same illegible word that follows Richard, the fourth name in this list.]
Fushic? Betts

Does anyone have more information the Russells in the descent chart? Particularly about Daniel Russell, son of Thomas Russell and Edith Sherman? Any help in reading the abbreviations on the road list is also welcome. Any information about Richard Russell? 11mitchell@mchsi.com

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
10Mitchell 1313033235000 
10Mitchell 1483148721000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic