Search for content in message boards

McCoy families- early 1800's: looking for Laura

Replies: 5

McCoy families- early 1800's: looking for Laura

Dian Cheney (View posts)
Posted: 1061328936000
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCoy ,Colton
I am looking for the family of Laura McCoy, mother of my great great grandfather,Alonzo Colton Jr. He told his children that his father, Alonzo Colton (Sr.) ,and mother, Laura, were maried in March 1826 in Salem,New York.Their first child,Alonzo, was born in Salem 24 May 1827 . A second child,a daughter was born 20 April 1829,in Salem. Mother and daughter both died before the end of April 1829, exact day unknown.It is not known where mother and daughter were burried. Alonzo Sr. moved to Woodstock,Vermont to work , and married Sarah Bliss in October 1829 . He appears on the 1830 census for Woodstock that spring,as does his second wife,but she also died in May 1830. He never remarried.His three year old son is not listed on the father's census record,nor on the records of his father's two living brothers.( No sisters survived to adulthood.)The census for Washington Co. from 1810-1840 list between 3-5 Mccoy households for each year,mostly in Argyle,but I have been unable to find any details about them.
Alonzo Jr. always listed his mother's birthplace as Ireland,but did not know a town,a date or her age.In his early 20's he sailed off to see the Middle East, then to Australia to check out the gold rush.By the time he stepped of the ship in California in 1856 , his father had been dead five years,and there was no one to ask. I
Apoligies for all the extra details,here's what I'm really trying to determine:
Could Laura have been a daughter of a local McCoy who was from Ireland, or maybe was a neice,sister, or granddaughter who came from Ireland to help with housewife chores( or find a husband). Her husband was 32 when they married ,she could have been any age from 30 down to 18. What town's in Ireland did the other Mccoy families come from?
Alonzo Sr.'s father(died 1823) had been a minister in the Sandgate VT Congregational church, so Laura's son is posably on a church record somewhere,as well as the parent's marriage.Can someone tell me what denominations were in the area ?
Is there an address or website I can contact for info on microfilmed copies of newspapers from the period,that may have marriage or death announcements?
I have researched a lot at the Genealogy Library in Utah,but I am told there is a lot of information (such as the news papers) they do not have. Does Washington County have a Historical Society I could contact that might help me rule out record sources that do not exist(or the State Library or a University)? I am trying to find documentation for as many details as possible.(I have already located a newspaper death notice for second wife Sarah .)

Thank You for any suggestions.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Dian Cheney 1061328936000 
PatrickCummin... 1061346543000 
PatrickCummin... 1061347984000 
jameskane70 1068483519000 
Veronica LeMaire 1144136638000 
OrrShannon 1489794556000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic