Search for content in message boards

Canadian Neighbour Needs A Little Help Please

Replies: 2

Canadian Neighbour Needs A Little Help Please

Posted: 1484339815000
Classification: Query
Hi . My ancestor Spanish John McDonell of Scotus was one of a very large group of McDonell who arrived from Scotland on board ship Pearl in Fall of 1773 . Most of these McDonell settled as tenants on Sir John Johnson's Kingsborough Patent NY , but Spanish John McDonell bought about 500 acres on the Charlotte River , and several of my Ardnabie McDonell settled near him .
In January 1776 the Patriots came to Sir John Johnson's and disarmed his tenants and took 6 McDonell heads of families away and they were held as hostage prisoners .
Sir John Johnson later left for Montreal with his male tenants , where they formed the King's Royal Regiment of New York aka KRRNY , which subsequently returned to NY to fight the Patriots . Spanish John McDonell served as a Captain in KRRNY , and his eldest son Donald McDonell served as a Non Commissioned Officer KRRNY until he was killed August 6 1777 at Battle of Oriskany during the Siege of Fort Stanwix NY. This Donald McDonell fathered Ann / Nancy McDonell who was his only child . It is the Baptism of this Ann / Nancy McDonell that I am seeking your help to locate . My guesstimate is that this Donald McDonell was about 20 when he was killed August 6 1777 , so Ann / Nancy McDonell may have been baptized between 1774 and 1778 , but at what church I know not . I do not know her mother's name , but it might be McDonell as well . Any and All Help appreciated . Thanks in Advance . Your Canadian Neighbour J.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
young1451 1484339815000 
judyartley261... 1488141466000 
young1451 1488189536000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic