Search for content in message boards

August Panzlau 1858-1928: Marriage and Immigration, 1882

Replies: 3

August Panzlau 1858-1928: Marriage and Immigration, 1882

Posted: 1216933639000
Classification: Query
It is not clear whether August Panzlau and Emilie Fenrich(later Americanized as same-sounding Amelia) married or emigrated first. All the known children appear to have been born in Rochester.

Both surnames have quite a few unfortunate alternates, making life H*** using computerized indices. The family shows up in 1900 as PANETON, in 1910 as PANGLAN, and finally in its correct form PANZLAU in 1920. I have seen German Fenrich here as Fenrick, even Fenwrick

Per the 1920 census, which gives the most detail, they came in 1880, were naturalized in 1895.
But in 1910, it is shown that Panzlau came in 1881, and thus, Miss Fenrich came in 1882 (alone, why, and with whom?)

Married in Germany (the Prussian area)?? I don't know enough specifically of each's place of residence. August was born 1858 in Kreis Rosenberg, West Prussia (the easternmost district, SE OF Danzig/Gdansk; it borders on East Prussia. But his father died only a few years afterward, his mother remarried, had a few more children, then they all disappear suddenly from the map. I suspect they may have moved to Danzig, where descendants of one of August's brothers remained to raise his family.

Thanks to finding a 1924 obituary of August Fenrick naming Mrs. A. Panzlau as his sister, I focussed on this family for a while. As required, Fenrick's eldest sons registered for the WWI draft; son Theodore mentions the specific town of birth, Roggatz, which is easily identified as the one in Kreis Stolp, Pommern. This is the area directly West of Danzig.

A Panzlau/Fenrich marriage could have occurred in Danzig, IFF both parties were living there. I am not going to check this, but I will nudge descendants I am still hoping to find into checking this for themselves. I am sure they want to know :>)

Passenger List nightmares.... Everyone thinks New York City. We would be talking the Castle Garden era, I'll be checking in to it. But Rochester lying so far West in the state, close to Buffalo, and Hamilton... I would really like to know of other documented ports of entry for people who arrived from Germany during the early 1880's and came directly to Rochester, without a sojourn elswhere.

I have done quite a bit of work on the Panzlau extended family. One group left Bremen around 1874 and came through Canada. Port of disembarcation was Hamilton, Ontario. They lived in Waterdown, Wentworth county for a few years before all moving up to Marinette county, Wisconsin (touching on Menominee county, Michigan in the upper peninsula).

My own line? I know they came from Kreis Mohrungen in EAST Prussia (just over the the county line, as it were, an area not filmed by LDS; there has been traffic on German websites for years by people looking for those records). Apparently, they just beamed down into Michigan like so many extraterrestrials. While documented in the Detroit city directories, they also spent time in lumber camps in upper Michigan.

Help...
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
albertmuth 1216955239000 
Genby2 1217004302000 
ntocus 1228097315000 
Genby2 1228241671000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic