Search for content in message boards

1913 grave disinterred and tombstone removed in New Calvary

Replies: 1

1913 grave disinterred and tombstone removed in New Calvary

Posted: 1566837641000
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: TOUCHET
Back in 1969, I visited my grandfather's grave of Louis Touchet died 1913 in New Calvary Cemetery Queens. At first their office told me that this grave did not exist there. When I pressed them, citing family information, they grudgingly came up with the location. My grandfather's resting place had a simple pillow stone, just as the whole line of graves did. The location was surrounded by tall weeds which suggested no maintenance had been done in that area. In the 1990s I tried again to visit my grandfather's grave but was told vehemently that it did not exist. This time I did not fight them. Now in 2009 I see my grandfather's tombstone on FINDAGRAVE which lists his grave in St. Ramon's Cemetery, not where I found it before....yes, FINDAGRAVE has the same tombstone I saw in 1969. Now it is crammed together with other tombstones almost touching each other. Louis Touchet's stone has a black mark down the middle of it vertically, as if lifted by a crane. I'm not missing a beat here. My grandfather's grave was disinterred because they need the space for new burials which sell for at least $19,000 each. For Louis Touchet and others who were buried in less affluent plots, there is no such thing as eternal rest. Anybody out there have a similar experience?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
touchetcr1 1566837641000 
BobNY 1566841171000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic