Replies: 9
Posted: 1166016970000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Miller
I think we're talking about the same Bill Miller!! Here's what I have:
Newspaper Article from Feb. 10, 1938 Independent Journal Potosi MO
RICHWOODS MINER KILLED IN FIGHT
Wm. Miller, 42 Found Dead After Scrap with J.C. DeClue; Inquest Held
William "Bill" Miller, a tiff miner of near Richwoods, was killed in a fight Saturday evening about 8 o'clock with J.C. DeClue. The fight took place at the home of Wm Strauser, a neighbor of the Millers. Miller was found to have a broken neck, which caused his death. The remains were brought to Potosi, following the inquest before Dr. J. L. Thurman, Coroner and funeral services were conducted at Pleasant Hill Church Monday by Elder Chester Turner. Burial was in the Pleasant Hill Cemetery.
According to the testimony of Wm. Strauser, who was present at the fight, Miller and his wife, J.C. DeClue and others spent Saturday in Potosi, Strauser remained at home and kept Miller's two children. The Millers and DeClue returned home about dark according to Mr. Strauser and after DeClue left Mr. and Mrs. Miller began arguing, Mrs. Miller left home taking her children with her to the home of Mr. Strauser. Miller followed her and urged her to return home. When she refused, Strauser testified, Miller struck her. About that time DeClue came up and he and Miller had some words. A fight followed and Miller was knocked down. Mrs. Miller and children then returned home and about 10 minutes later Miller was found on the porch dead, with his neck broken. Mr. Strauser says no weapons were used so far as he knows.
A Coroner's inquest was held, and the jury recommended an autopsy. This was done by Dr. Thurman and it was found Miller died of a fracture of the neck. DeClue is being held in jail charged with murder.
Bill Miller was born near Pleasant Hill 42 years ago. He lived there a number of years, and then mined near Potosi for some time before moving to Richwoods. He was married and was the father of six children, four of them preceding him in death. His wife , two children and mother Mrs. Jane Rickner, survive him.
The preliminary hearing of J.C. DeClue was held Tuesday in Potosi before B.F. Hammett, Justice of the Peace at Breton Township and after hearing the testimony Justice Hammett bound DeClue over to the circuit court. His bond was set at $5000. Proscutting Attorney John A. Eversole represented the state in this case and Judge Chas. H Richeson and Judge Sam Richeson, the defendent.

From Friday, March 11, 1938, Washington County News
J.C. DeClue Acquitted On First Degree Murder Charge
After a fair and imparcial trial, J.C. DeClue was acquitted on a first degree murder charge. The trial began Wednesday and ended Thursday afternoon at one p.m. when the jury returned a verdict of not guilty. The defendent was highly pleased with the verdict. This is the second murder case to be tried this week and in both cases the defendents have received the best of council and are very fortunate in having the best legal advice possible.
DeClue was forced into a fight with Mr. Miller, which he was unable to avoid, February 4 and during the fight Mr. Miller the deceased received a broken neck.
Our sympathy goes to both families for this unfortunate affair.

After I heard from you I looked at the Census Records and did find in 1930 MO Washington Co. Breton Township:
Miller, Wm age 32
" Bessie W. " 20
" Catherine " 8/12

The info I have is that Bill was born July 1895 died 1938 buried at Pleasant Hill Cem. Washington Co. MO. He was born to Saphronia Jane Miller (father unknown) Aunt Jane married George Washington Rickner and had 3 children by him. Aunt Jane's parents were Hans Miller and Matilda Linora or Lorraine Bay/Bays ( maybe that's where Bill's daughter got her name-Lorraine??) I have more Miller info if you are interested, I would like to know if you have any other info on your Aunt Bessie and her daughters, Catherine and Lorraine, like birth, death, marriages, children, burials, etc. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lindaheflin30 1165881234000 
lorettachambe... 1165932981000 
lindaheflin30 1165950039000 
lindaheflin30 1165950525000 
lorettachambe... 1165950817000 
lindaheflin30 1165958697000 
lorettachambe... 1165961350000 
lorettachambe... 1165961378000 
lindaheflin30 1165969532000 
lorettachambe... 1166016970000 
per page