History of Pettis County MO 1919 by Mark McGruder, Page 504
(Transcribed by Laura Paxton)
Every county must have leaders and each section of that county must have a real leader; one who can be depended upon to devote his time, money, and energies to the furthering of enterprises and movements which are intended to benefit the mass of the people in the county. Fitted by nature, endowed with excellent mentality, Clement Jones of Longwood township has long been a leader in many excellent movements in his community and in Pettis County. He is a Pettis County citizen with a broad vision and gifted with the ability to lead, endowed with energy which permits him not only to successfully conduct his own individual enterprises, but naturally places him in a place of leadership. The northern section of Pettis County, especially that part of the county which is rich prairie land, is noted the country over for the fine residences and splendid improvements on the farms. No section of the State of Missouri surpasses this section for the beautiful, modern homes which grace the landscape on every side. The beautiful farm residence which is the home of Mr. Jones in Longwood township was the first modern home to be erected in this part of Pettis County-built in 1904. This house sets far back from the highway and contains nine rooms with a basement and is modern in every respect. The Jones estate embraces a total of 720 acres in one body upon which the proprietor is extensively engaged in the raising and feeding of live stock. Mr. Jones markets nearly 200 head of fat cattle yearly; fattens for the markets over 400 head of hogs yearly; and maintains a herd of fifty to sixty ewes, finding sheep a very profitable and cheaply maintained adjunct to his farming operations. In fact, Mr. Jones maintains that he clears more money in profit from his herd of sheep than from any other department and the animals keep his fields and pastures clear of weeds. The Jones farm is substantially fenced with woven wire, supported by steel corner posts, set in cement and is one of the best improved in Pettis County.
Clement Jones was born January 20 1867, in Iroquois County, Illinois and is a son of Henry Jones, an aged resident of Heath's Creek township. Clement Jones accompanied his parents to Pettis County in March, 1868, and was reared and educated in this county by a father who believed in right upbringing and education for his children. He remained at home until 1892, operating the home farm in partnership with his father. It was then time for him to make a home for himself and he received as a gift outright from his father, a tract of 160 acres, which, while it was rich prairie land, was poorly improved. Mr. Jones has taken this land and built it up into a model farmstead equipped with three large barns and every facility for carrying on farming and stock raising on a large scale. He has made good.
On November 16 1892, Clement Jones and Miss Tennie Harvey of Pettis County were united in marriage. Two children have blessed this union: Lora B. Jones, a graduate of Sedalia High School, now at home with her parents; Clement Van Jones, aged 22 years, a student in Sedalia High School. Mrs. Tennie (Harvey) Jones is a daughter of Albert J and Nannie (Gorrell) Harvey, the former of whom was born near Arrow Rock Missouri, a son of Missouri pioneers. Mrs. Nannie Harvey was born in Kentucky. A J Harvey came to Pettis County during the fifties and built up a farm of 240 acres from unimproved prairie land. Mr. Harvey was one of the first of the prairie farmers to make the venture into the level uplands away from the two commodities which was deemed absolutely necessary to sustain life by the early pioneer-water and timber. He made a success of his venture and others soon followed in his wake. To Albert J and Nannie Harvey were born children as follows: Renna, living on the home place; A U now in Florida for the benefit of his health, owns a farm in Longwood township; Mrs. Ida Alexander, Nelson Missouri; Mrs. Clement Jones of this review.
Mr. Jones is a Democrat whose spoken word is influential in the affairs of his party in Pettis County. He is a member of the lodge of Modern Woodsmen at Longwood. He is a director of the Bank of Longwood and is a steward trustee of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Longwood. Mr. Jones is the district steward of the Sunday Schools of this district, a position which he has filled for the past eight years. As chairman of the Church Building Committee or president of the Finance Board of the church during the erection of the splendid new Methodist Church at Longwood in 1916, he had practically entire charge of the building of the church and the expenditure of the $12,000 required to defray the expenses of erection. Mr. Jones gave a great deal of his time and personally supervised the building operations while the church edifice was being reared and the result is the finest, most convenient and best built rural church in this section of Missouri-an edifice of which all classes of people in this vicinity are proud.