History of Pettis County Mo 1919 by Mark McGruder , Page 758
(Transcribed by Laura Paxton)
Arthur W. Brown- Just a little northwest of old Georgetown is a pretty country place of Arthur W. Brown, consisting of 128 acres. This farm was formerly devoted to the dairy business, but with advancing age, Mr. Brown found that the work of caring for a herd of Holstein cows was becoming too arduous and he sold his cows, in 1917. A W Brown is a native of the old Western Reserve of Ohio. He was born June 22 1852, at Bainbridge, Geauga County, Ohio, a son of Peleg Brown and Adaline Barton Brown.
Peleg Brown located in Ohio in 1834, going there from Madison County New York, where he was born and reared. He bought land in Bainbridge township for $3.00 an acre. This land was all heavily timbered with hardwood timber, and but ten acres were cleared. Mr. Brown became a successful dairyman. After the war he became owner of Chester Palmer farm, three quarters of a mile west of Mulberry Corners, and accumulated a total of 800 acres much of which he lost through financial reverses. Later Peleg Brown came to Pettis County and made his home with his daughter, Mrs. C P Shepard, whose home was south of Sedalia dying there in 1880. His wife was Adaline Barton of Herkimer County New York. They are the parents of the following children: Abner, died in Los Angeles; William A., died in Pettis County; Mrs. C P Shepherd, Pettis County; Arthur W., of this review. Peleg Brown drove from his old home in New York to Ohio by ox team in 1833. After purchasing land he built a cabin and returned for his wife. He farmed in Ohio until 1879.
Arthur W. Brown is a self made man. Every dollar which he owns has been earned by the sweat of his brow. He attended the old Geauga Seminary, then taught by Prof. W D Moore, his uncle. This is the famous school attended by President Garfield, and later taught by him. Mr. Brown came to Pettis County in 1879, and first lived on the Herman Kahrs place in Lake Creek township. In 1881 he moved to Henry County and resided at LaDue for seven years, returning to Pettis County in 1888. For seventeen years Mr. Brown was in the employ of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas and Missouri Pacific railways, as inspector in the railroad yards. He purchased his farm in 1896.
Mr. Brown was married in 1875 to Miss Lydia Rogers, who was born at Kirtland, Lake County, Ohio in 1857. Two daughters and a son have blessed this marriage; Mrs. W J Menefee, Sedalia; Grace, wife of James Capen, Sedalia; and Forrest A., an electrician employed in the munitions plant at Nitro West Virginia.
For the past 22 years Mr. Brown has been a member of the Granit Lodge No. 272, Ancient Free and Accepted Mason, Sedalia.