Search for content in message boards

Anna Goodwin (Grigg) BURR (b abt 1806 - Warren, OH, d 31 Jan 1875 - Newton, MO)

Replies: 5

Death Notice of Anna Goodwin (Grigg) BURR (d 31 Jan 1875 - Newton, MO) in the Palmyra Spectator

Posted: 1461078890000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Burr, Grigg, Lawrence, Littledyke, Littledike
Thank you very much, Gary!

I found and transcribed this death notice for Anna Goodwin (Grigg) BURR (b abt 1806 - Warren, OH, d 31 Jan 1875 - Newton, MO) within the February 12, 1875, edition of the Palmyra Spectator, as you suggested:

"We learn by the Journal that Mrs. ANNA G.
BURR, of Neosho, Missouri, departed this life
on the 31st ultimo. Mrs. Burr was a native of
England, but by long association with the people
of this county, became an enthusiastic admirer
of our institutions. Many years ago Mr. and
Mrs. Burr came to reside in this place, and very
soon thereafter her husband was killed by a
man named Dickson, in a hand to hand street
fight. Mrs. Burr, being a lady of high intellectual
culture, opened a school, and for many years
pursued that avocation among us. Many of her
pupils are the heads of families, and remember
Mrs. Burr with geat tenderness of affection.
She was a lady of fine literary attainments, graceful
mein, commanding style, very successful as
a teacher, and enjoyed in a large degree the
respect and appreciation of this community. Mrs.
Burr leaves many sincere friends at this place."

Palmyra spectator (Palmyra, Mo.), Vol. 11, No., Friday, February 12, 1875, Page 3, Column 4.
http://statehistoricalsocietyofmissouri.org/cdm/ref/collecti...

It bears mention that the statement in the notice "Mrs. Burr was a native of England" is erroneous.

Anna Goodwin (Grigg) BURR's father, Jacob Grigg was born on June 19, 1769, in the town and parish of St. Stephen, near Launceston, then the principal town in the county of Cornwall, England, to John and Mary Grigg. Rev. Jacob GRIGG is known to have arrived in Norfolk, Virginia on July 20, 1797, after a Baptist mission to Sierra Leone, Africa. Jacob GRIGG married Miss Mary Ann LITTLEDIKE (Chr 08 Mar 1778 - Glatton, Huntingdon, England) on 29 Jan 1798 in Norfolk, VA.

Elder Jacob GRIGG's history from 1797 through about 1819 is fairly well documented. At the date of Anna Goodwin (Grigg) BURR's birth, GRIGG was teaching school in Lebanon, Warren County, Ohio. Anna's Census records show her to be born in Ohio.

Anna BURR's arrival in Merion and the death of her husband, said to be Erasmus BURR, are discussed in the History of Marion County, as explained in my original post. Erasmus BURR seems to have been killed in Autumn 1834 at Goodwin's Tavern in Palmyra. Erasmus BURR and Anna G. (Grigg) BURR are said to have come to Palmyra from St. Louis, MO, though I haven't yet found a record of Anna in St. Louis nor have I found her marriage records.

Anna seems to have been previously married to a Mr. LAWRENCE.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
waroper 1460944172000 
garylmaize 1461074751000 
waroper 1461078890000 
waroper 1461079439000 
garylmaize 1461260121000 
waroper 1461269205000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic