I am not related and have no other information on the family. This obituary is amazing, it gives a great history of this woman and her settling of Holt County, Missouri, going there from Tippecanoe County in 1838.
The Holt County Sentinel, pg 1
January 20, 1911
Oregon, Holt County, Missouri
THE PIONEERS ARE PASSING
Death of Mrs. Eliza Sterrett, the Last of Holt County’s Original Settlers
In the death of Mrs. Eliza Sterrett, which occurred at her home in this city, early Thursday morning, January 12, 1911, there passed away into the great unknown, the last representative of the original settlers of Holt County. The Stephenson and Russells and Kees have long since died, and now the last of the three original families to first locate in this county passes over life’s might stream in Mrs. Sterrett.
The Russells and Stephensons came in the spring of 1838, and John Sterrett, wife, their son, William, and a daughter, together with James Kee, came in July of that year. There were no other arrivals in the county that fall, with the exception of William H. Russell, October 9, 1838, the first born in Holt County. John Sterrett located on the northwest quarter of section 8, township 59, range 37. This land is now owned by Mrs. Theresa Vincent.
The territory now known as Holt County was known as Ne-at-a-wah and was under the jurisdiction of Buchanan County, this following the treaty that led to the purchase of the Patte Purchase from the Indians in 1837. The Indians had about all left with the exception of a few that roamed about during hunting season.
These early settlers came by ox teams, and lived in their wagons until the coming of fall. They put in their time the first month or so cutting grass, using a reap hook, in order to have some hay to feed their cows and oxen. The following summer they raised some corn and fodder. Much wild honey was found and their cows furnished them with plenty of milk and butter.
Mr. and Mrs. Sterrett were then young and in their prime she was 21 when she came here. That fall the two built them a log cabin, made of split logs, stick chimney and dirt floor.
In the summer of 1839, Mr. Sterrett went over to Andrew County and secured three small chickens, bringing them over with him in his pockets. From these the couple made their start in poultry, but were unable to engage in raising hogs until 1840, when, in some way, he secured three little pigs, and thus in due time they became liberally supplied with meat. She was the second white woman to cross the Nodaway river, Blank Stephenson’s wife only a few months before having been the first. They had to have their corn for bread stuff hauled from Liberty, Mo., in 1839, there being no chance to get any such provisions closer.
Her husband was a member of the first grand jury and witnessed the convening of the first circuit and county courts, in March, 1841, and she has lived to see the county develop from a population of a dozen souls to its present population of nearly 15,000–to see the development and advancement in all the arts and mechanics–from the hand sickle and cradle to the self binder and steam thresher; from the tallow dip to the electric light; from the old stage coach to the palatial passenger coach and the flying machine. What wonderful changes she has lived to see!
Until a few years ago she was of wonderful rugged health, of a determined will force and decision of character, that was developed by reason of her early pioneer sacrifices. Of late she has been failing mentally and her care and her affairs have been looked after by her grandson, Lewis I. Moore. With her in her home was her grandson, Alfred Moore, and they have been companions through most of the years of her widowhood, and although he has been sorely afflicted, his grief over the loss of his grandmother is most pitiful.
ELIZA ANN BOTKIN was born in Clark County, Ohio, August 18, 1817. She was an only child, and on September 19, 1833, in Tippecanoe County, she was married to JOHN STERRETT. Following their coming to this county and on the creation and laying out of the town of Oregon, they moved closer to town _ad located on the land now owned by James B. Hinde, and they continued to reside her until the early ‘50's, when they moved to town, occupying a little house on the lot where now County Clerk Zeller resides, and Mr. Sterrett left for the California gold fields. This venture was not a successful one and he came back and bought the old Sterrett homestead just north of town, which is now owned by Charles Markt.
Here on June 30, 1855, Mr. Sterrett died from cholera and also their daughter, Eliza, whose death occurred a few days after that of her father. At this old homestead, Mother Sterrett continued to live with her children until all of them were grown and gone from home. She then left the farm home and came to Oregon, settling in the house at the southwest corner of the public square, where she died early Thursday morning, January 12, 1911, in the 94th day of her age; the immediate cause of her death being pneumonia.
Mrs. Sterrett was the mother of nine children, all of whom, excepting Mrs. Fidelia McIntyre, of California, are now dead. The more recent deaths among her chldren were those of Mrs. D.E. Bennett, on July 12, 1907, and William H., on September 0, 1909. She leaves 18 grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren. She never remarried, living a widow for nearly 56 years.
At the old settlers’ reunion held in this city, in September, 1905, Mrs. Sterrett was presented with a handsome rocker as being the oldest settler of the county present.
She had been a member of the Oregon Presbyterian church since 1856, uniting with the church under the pastorate of Rev. W. Fulton.
There was a beautiful side to her life, which she kept carefully guarded from show or demonstration. Annually she remembered some one of the many orphans’ homes with a donation in keeping with her limited income.
The funeral services were conducted from the Presbyterian church, Friday morning by the pastor, Rev. Jas. Walton, assisted by Rev. T.C. Taylor, the interment being in Maple Grove cemetery.
The floral tributes spoke silently of the esteem and love for her that came from friends and relatives and the Presbyterian Ladies Aid socity.
(please forgive typos, this took a while to type and I probably missed a few.)