Search for content in message boards

Wingo Durant Mississippi

Replies: 0

Wingo Durant Mississippi

Posted: 1538341429000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Durant Wingo
Found this letter in Attala Mississippi archives

Following is a letter written by a daughter of Samuel Little, son of William Little, that mentions Betsy Howell and the possible Cherokee connection.
COPY OF LETTER WRITTEN by Mary Ann Little Craft Mayes

I was born May 21, 1828 in Pike County, Mississippi. My father's name was Samuel Little who came to this state when young. I am the third child of said Samuel Little by his lawful wife Sally Barnes to whom he was married about 1821-22. He, my father, was born in 1801 Oct 18. He was son of William Little who died when I was about five years old and Betsy (Howell) Little who died about one year later. I can remember my grandmother well and how she looked. She was tall and dark with jet black eyes and I was always told that she was of Indian decent and belonged to the Cherokee tribe. Whether she was full blood or not I do not know nor do I remember to have heard my father say. My father who died in 1866 was talking of going to the Nation just before he died and had been in correspondence with Willis Wingo who went from here to the Nation and Wingo found the Durants who was Indians and had known my father here and I remember that Wingo wrote for my father to come and that the Durants were ready to establish his claim - the letters have been lost or destroyed. There is no doubt that there is Indian blood in our family and it shows in members of the family. There is some of them that look like full blood almost.The Durants mentioned were Choctaws, and Willis Wingo mentioned was Cherokee and born in GA or SC about 1820.

Find a board about a specific topic