Search for content in message boards

Here is How You Can Research Information in Sweden

Replies: 3

Here is How You Can Research Information in Sweden

Cheryl Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 1087055421000
Classification: Query
If you need to find information in Sweden, you need to know the parish you want in Sweden and then have access to one book (by Thomsen). However, the book Cradled in Sweden is very helpful, too.

The book Cradled in Sweden had been out of print for several years. It has been reprinted now in hardback. You can probably order the book Cradled in Sweden from a local book store (ISBN No. 1-932088-01-6). I ordered it last year (2003) from The Everton Publishers Inc. & The Family History Network at the following address:

P. O. Box 70813
Sandy, UT 84070-8130
FAX (801) 553-1777

It cost me about $30; I know the price was going up shortly after that. It has much information in it about records in Sweden. You might check a local library (or interlibrary loan) first to see whether it is something you would want to buy. I think it is very valuable.

I found a copy of a book in the Genealogy Room in the Willmar Library (Willmar, Willmar Township, Kandiyohi County, Minnesota) by Finn A. Thomsen called Genealogical Guidebook & Atlas of Sweden (1981). Along with maps showing the provinces, counties, and parishes in Sweden, it lists all the parishes in Sweden and gives the corresponding microfilm number for each parish. The microfilm is of the records that the Mormons copied. If you know the parish you want, you can then look it up in Thomsen's book and find the microfilm number and go to an LDS (Latter Day Saints) Family History Center (FHC) closest to you and look up the microfilm number to see what part you want to order.

Currently (in 2004), it costs $3.25 to borrow each film strip from Salt Lake City. The microfilm is sent to the local Family History Center (the one where you order it). That FHC calls you when the film arrives; that usually takes about 2-3 weeks (at least for the Colorado area where I live). The film stays at that FHC location for a certain amount of time (check with that Center). You can then check the records by using the microfilm reader at that location.

They should also have a microfilm printer. I've used both at my Parker, Colorado, location (by Denver). If you want to renew a microfilm, it costs another $3.25 to do so. If not, it is sent back to Salt Lake City. If you RENEW it a SECOND time (again for $3.25--total of $9.75), the film stays indefinitely at that Family History Center. It then belongs to that FHC, not to you. You (and anyone else who wants to) can use the film anytime at that FHC.

Reading some of these records can be very difficult. Cradled in Sweden shows you some of the Gothic lettering to help you figure out what the minister wrote. There is some of this lettering shown in Thomsen's book, also. Some of the letters are VERY different. You might ask at your FHC about two booklets they have on Sweden: “Research Outline--Sweden” and “Genealogical Word List--Swedish”. I think they cost about $1 each. They can be very helpful, too.

You might want to ask at your FHC about any other films they have there. The Parker FHC has an index of the various films they have. It MIGHT be possible that there are other films at your FHC (ordered by others) in which you might be interested.

A project that a genealogical society in the Denver, Colorado, area has been working on is to have the various FHCs in the Denver area index and list all of their films. The genealogical society puts that list on its website. That way we can see what is at the various FHCs in the Denver area. If there is a film at another location that can help us, we can travel to that FHC and not have to order that film. If you are located close to a large city, you might ask whether this type of information is available for that area.

Many films are for approximately a 10-year span. The films listed as Husförhörslängd are, I believe, a household record which lists families--parents and children.

I helped a man I met at the Parker FHC. He was stuck in terms of his research in Sweden--couldn't find the parish (the name had changed many years ago). This Thomsen's book helped him. This spring, he subscribed to GenLine on the Internet and found three generations within about 10 days. He is retired and very organized. He said that GenLine saved him money instead of ordering films. However, it cost him $28 for about $28 days. To use Genline and really get your money’s worth, you really have to be organized and do just this research. He also said that it is slow on most people's home computers. However, he goes to the Parker FHC and logs in there and uses their computers which are faster. I don't think you can print records from this process. I think he said he can print since he has a CD WRITER (most people only have a CD READER). However, I think you can save the records to a disk.

Call your local FHC and ask which days/hours they are open. When you go to the FHC, ask the volunteers for help.

When I go to the FHC, here is how I see what the title of the film is that I want to order:

Double click on their icon called Fam Hist Lib Cat which stands for Family History Library Catalog. Then on the left you should see Film/Fiche Search--click on this. Enter the microfilm No. (from Thomsen's list--see above) and then click on Search. You should then get the results--in blue print. Click on the item in the list that you want (in blue print). You should then get a window that shows two index tabs. The first tab called “Title Details” is the information you just received (above). The second tab is called “Film Notes.” Click on this tab. You should then get a list with two columns--“Notes” and “Location Film.”

This list gives you (in the Notes column) the type of information, such as Födde--birth, Vigde--marriage, Döde--death, Konfirmationslängd--Confirmation, Kommunionlängd--Communion, Kyrkoräkensdapsbok--church account book. There's one that is something like Husforsforkorslängd which, I think, lists family members with information. With these titles will be a range of years. Be sure to find the one that you really want. You may have to order more than one to keep trying to find information or more generations. It does take a while to get through the films so you might not want to order too many at one time, especially until you have tried one. Someone told me to choose the year when the children would be about teenagers--about 12-15--(or the one you are interested in)--in terms of the household records. That way you would more likely get more family information and the information would likely be before the individual left home.

When you find the one(s) you want, look in the Location Film column and see what the order number is. Ask a volunteer at the FHC how to go about ordering a microfilm. They will have you fill out a form for each film. Be sure to write down the information in both columns (see above)--the Notes and the Location because you will have to put that information on the order form--in addition to other information, such as Sweden, Småland, Kalmar län. Småland is the province and Kalmar län is the county.


If you are having trouble finding a county in a specific state, try the following: The Parker FHC computers (and probably the others) have AniMap software on them. This stands for animated map. You can select a state and select a year and the map will show you the counties in that state during that year. If you change the year, the map changes.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Cheryl Johnson 1087055421000 
Jerry Baker 1098314255000 
Cheryl Johnson 1098333974000 
Cheryl Johnson 1107898772000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic