Search for content in message boards

Taylor (the other ones)

Replies: 4

Taylor (the other ones)

Posted: 1556425006000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Taylor, Winchell, Bateman, Carnihan
I read along on the old Taylor thread and it’s clear my Taylor’s are a different family. Hoping someone might have a bit of insight for me before I head out to visit in-person in June.

In search of Silas Taylor, who reportedly died late 1862 (pre-death records in MN) following a wound received during the year’s upheaval with the massacre. He would have been one of the fellows who went to the fight without joining up, “defending his family”. He and his wife, Mary Polly Carnihan, lived on a farm south of Preston.

I’ve gathered that the town may not have been inclusively inclined toward non-Scandinavian settlers on the outskirts. My Taylor’s came up from Iowa between 1854-1857. Silas’ daughter from his first marriage, Hannah, looks to have married Adam Bateman in June of 1855, so I’d guess they moved in 1854 or 1855 and just didn’t catch a census until 1857.

Mary Carnihan re-married Edwin Morris Winchell after Silas died, and they stayed in Fillmore County. She appears to have been a business owner in Spring Valley, per land records. Possibly a mill? It was surprising to see her name rather than Edwin’s. She died 1889 in Spring Valley.

I can’t find any probate or burial records/tombstone to confirm Silas’ death, or corroborate his son’s claim he was wounded at New Ulm. Historical Society cemetery lists come up empty, as do Findagrave and billiongraves.

Anyone else familiar with the Taylor, Winchell, Bateman surnames and can you shed a light? Wondering if, as outsiders, and since they weren’t church-goers, they just buried him on the farm. I may go knocking doors in June.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jennifer Bear... 1556425006000 
judyartley261... 1559079881000 
Jennifer Bear... 1559097461000 
judyartley261... 1559080036000 
judyartley261... 1559162771000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic