Search for content in message boards

great-grandfather search

Replies: 0

great-grandfather search

Posted: 1067893874000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1068854580000
My great-grandfather, Antti Kauvosaari (Andrew K. Anderson), emigrated to Minnesota in 1866 according to Ilmonen's Historia II, and went to Holmes City. Family oral history states he was murdered while carrying the payroll for the logging camp. The oxen (or mules) returned with his dead body in the wagon (buckboard). The Indians were blamed, but it was later determined one of the "men" did it. The son of this man acknowledged as much to Antti's (Andrew) son, John K. Anderson, in a saloon in Marengo, WI. John told this story to his eldest daughter, Emma, with the promise she would not repeat it since he was ashamed that his father (Antti or Andrew) was intoxicated at the time. John K. Anderson is my maternal grandfather and Emma is my aunt. I have been unable to find Andrew K. Anderson's grave or death certificate in Douglas County. Was there a logging route between Holmes City and Franklin to the Minnesota River? Was he traveling between Holmes City and Franklin, MN? His son, also named Antti Kauvosaari (Andrew Anderson), emigrated with his father. An Andrew Anderson owned land in Camp Township in Franklin on which the present Finnish Cemetery is located. The "History of Renville County" (1916) states the first burial from the Finnish Apostolic Church was Andrew Anderson in 1868. Was this my grandfather? I have been unable to find where the publisher found this information. The "History of Franklin" states the Finnish Cemetery land was donated by Andrew Anderson in 1868. Is this a coincidence? If anyone has a clue about this history, please contact me by e-mail.

Find a board about a specific topic