From "Wayne County and City of Detroit" by Burton, Volume IV:
Louis Lonyo, pioneer brick manufacturer of Detroit, conducted a successful business of that character under the name of the Lonyo Brothers Brick Manufacturing Company to the time of his death, which occurred June 6, 1912, in his fifty-second year. He was born in Springwells, Wayne county, Michigan, November 27, 1860, his parents being Louis and Angeline (Reed) Lonyo, the latter a cousin of Thomas Brackett Reed of Maine, a distinguished American statesman, who was the thirty-first speaker of the house of representatives. She also came from the same family as General Warren, who fell at Bunker Hill. In the paternal line Mr. Lonyo came of French ancestry, the original family name being LONGNON, while on the maternal side he was of Pennsylvania Dutch descent, the Reeds having been established in America for several generations. Louis Lonyo (I), the paternal grandfather of Mr. Lonyo of this review, was one of the earliest French settlers in Detroit and opened the first bakery of the city on the present site of the First National Bank, continuing in the business until his death. His widow afterward married again and moved to what was known as the Longnon farm on Twelfth street, the tract extending to Grand River avenue. Louis Lonyo (II), father of our subject, was born in Detroit and here acquired his education. He pruchased a farm in what was then Springwells, now within the corporate limits of Detroit, at Lonyo and Michigan avenues, his land extending back to the tracks of the Michigan Central Railroad. Thereon he spent the remainder of his life, and at his death the property was divided among his five heirs. Prior to his demise he had established a brick-yard on the old homestead place, operating the same in association with his sons, who subsequently became the owners. The Lonyos were probably the oldest brickmakers in Detroit.
Louis Lonyo (III), one of a family of six children, spent the period of his boyhood on the home farm and pursued his education in the rural schools. Henry Ford was one of his schoolmates and boyhood chums. After putting aside his textbooks he joined his father and brothers in the brick manufacturing industry, which claimed his time and energies throughout his entire business career. Success attended his well directed labors, for he was a man of untiring industry, sound judgment and keen sagacity. A portion of the original farm of Louis Lonyo (II) is still in possession of the family, and the tract formerly owned by Louis Lonyo (III) has been subdivided by Mrs. Lonyo.
On the 31st of December, 1890, Mr. Lonyo was united in marriage to Miss Jane A. CRAIG, a native of Canada and a daughter of Thomas and Isabel (MacDONALD) CRAIG, who were also of Canadian birth and were of Irish and Scotch descent, respectively. Two of the five children of Mr. and Mrs. Lonyo died in early life. The surviving members of the family are as follows: Lillian Isabel; Jeanette Orisa, the wife of James D. ROBERTS; and Louis G., who is engaged in private real estate transactions in the interest of the Lonyo estate.
In exercising his right of franchise Mr. Lonyo supported the men and measures of the republican party. He was a consistent member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church. He was highly esteemed among his fellow members of the Builders & Traders Exchange of Detroit and he found his greatest interest in the affairs of business. If he had a hobby, it was his fondness for horses. Among his outstanding characteristics may be mentioned has appreciation of social contacts, and it naturally followed that the circle of his friends was a very wide one. The family residence is at 2285 Chicago boulevard in Detroit.