Search for content in message boards

MAJOR JOHN HARRITT OF EMMITSBURG

Replies: 2

MAJOR JOHN HARRITT OF EMMITSBURG

Margaret Goldsmith (View posts)
Posted: 1071396657000
Classification: Query
Surnames: HARRITT
I am researching the family of Major John Harritt. I am trying to locate the names of his two oldest sons and his second daughter, as well as the names of his parents. My uncle has a 200 year old Harritt bible that was presented to Major John Harritt in 1804 on the occassion of his promotion to the rank of Major in the Maryland Militia. The bible lists only the names of his children who died in infancy and young adulthood. By cross checking census records for 1820 and 1830 with the bible inscriptions, records from the St. Joseph Provincial House and "Names in Stone" by Joseph Holdcraft, there were apparently two sons and a daughter who survived. I believe that one of these sons was the father of my great great grandfather, Harry S. Harritt.

Major John Harritt was reportedly born in Long Green MD in 1779. In 1802 he was living in Taneytown MD and in 1807 he married Catherine Hughes there. He was a "hatter" by trade and purchased his home in Emmitsburg on the square in 1819 from John Hughes of Taneytown. His wife Catherine Hughes Harritt died in 1832 and is buried in the Catholic cemetery in Emmitsburg. Major John served as a judge in the widows and orphans court in the 1840's. He died in Baltimore in 1856 and is buried in the Catholic cemetery in Emmitsburg.

There was some relationship between Major John Harritt and Henry J. Harritt of Waynesboro PA. Henry J. Harrittt's first wife, Elizabeth, is buried in the Catholic cemetery in Emmitsburg and her death is recorded in the Harritt family bible. One of Henry J. Harritt's sons later lived with my great great grandfather in Des Moines IA and my great grandfather is pictured in several photos with two Henry J. Harritt's sons. Henry J. Harritt was born in 1797, the son of Richard and Sara Harritt.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Margaret Goldsmith 1071396657000 
Courtney Harr... 1548725329000 
oramarie1 1561432271000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic