Search for content in message boards

Gorum Community

Replies: 0

Gorum Community

Posted: 1505501461000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Chelette Basco Ysidro Sidre Padilla Quinalty Delacerda Couty
I'm passing on some conclusions I've drawn about some of the families that lived around Gorum in hopes of getting some feedback. Unfortunately I have not utilized the book Entangled web of Bayou Pierre as I have been unable to locate a copy.

Re the descendants of Marie Arsene Chelette I've identified the following:

1 child with "Frank O'Neal" :

Marie Clarisse Chelette - b. 28 Feb 1815 bapt. 3 Jul 1815 (Mills Vol. 2 #595)

3 children with Jean Baptiste Ysidro (Sidre, Cedar, Saidek):

Jean Baptiste Ysidro - b. 7 Feb 1817 bapt. 20 Jun 1817 (Riffel Vol. 1 pg. 7)

Marie Euphrasine Ysidro - b. 1 Apr 1818 bapt 6 Dec 1820 (Riffel Vol. 1 pg. 51)

Marie Zelina Ysidro - b. 3 Apr 1821 bapt 19 Dec 1821 (Riffel Vol. 1 pg. 63)

1 child with Thomas Basco:

Marie Melissa Chelette - b. abt Feb 1827 bapt. 11 Sep 1827 (Riffel Vol. 1 pg. 103)

It is said that Arsene had one additional child with Thomas Basco and two children with Leandre Padilla. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who can identify them.

There are a couple of things stated in some online trees about these families with which I disagree.

First, some state that Maria Eliza Padilla, wife of Santiago Delacerda, was one of Arsene's children by Leandre Padilla. I do not believe this is correct. Maria was actually the daughter of Juan Hosea Padilla and Marie Nancy Quinalty. The Padillas resided next to Santiago and Maria in Rapides Parish in 1860. Maria Eliza Padilla was born 23 Nov 1841 and baptised 6 Jan 1842 (Riffel Vol. 2, p. 19). A mistake in her parentage is understandable because her mother, Marie Nancy Quinalty, was the daughter of Arsene's sister, Helena and her husband Dennis Quinalty.

Second, I believe Arsene's daughter, Marie Zelina Ysidro, married Jean Pierre Couty/Coutee. Judy Riffel's second volume of Natchitoches Baptisms records the birth of Marie Felicite Couty to Jean Pierre Couty and Marie Celine Sidre . There is at least one tree posted online that states Celine married a Rachal but I do not think this is correct unless she was married twice.

Third, a question. Did Santiago Delacerda marry a Lacy White? Some researchers and even one death certificate attribute Santiago's children to Lacy White when the 1860 and 1880 censuses clearly indicate that he was married to Marie Eliza Padilla throughout that period. Help, I'm confused!!!!

Thank you for any assistance. William Houston

Find a board about a specific topic