Search for content in message boards

Goss, LA & DeSoto Hill Cemetery

Replies: 4

Goss, LA & DeSoto Hill Cemetery

Posted: 1243971202000
Classification: Query
Surnames: DeSoto
I am trying to determine the exact location of the "DeSoto Hill Cemetery" that is supposed to be in Goss, De Soto Parish, LA, and am also curious if anybody knows anything about the history of Goss. Here is what I know:

Goss shows up on a few modern-day maps (including the current USGS topo), but does not appear to be an actual settled area today. If you were to look at an aerial photo of Goss on Google Maps (it's about a quarter of a mile SE of the intersection of route 84 and I-49), you can see a clearing that abuts an old "route 510" that is no longer a maintained road (it looks more like a partially-paved path today). There is a roughly rectangular patch of ground in the clearing that looks like the remnants of an old structure of some sort.

I did some Google searches for Goss and found records of a few people who were born there between the years 1915-1920. I know that oil was drilled in that general area in DeSoto Parish between about 1913-1917, and I wonder if the rectangular patch on the aerial photo could be the 90-year-old platform for an oil rig, and if there may have been a small settlement surrounding the rig during those few years, that was abandoned when the oil dried up?

My ancestors are supposedly buried in a family cemetery called "DeSoto Hill Cemetery," which is supposed to be on "Wemple Road, at Goss." I can find no better description of the cemetery's location anywhere, but I do know that the family sued Standard Oil sometime back in the early 1900's because they were drilling in the cemetery. This makes me think that the cemetery might be in or directly adjacent to the clearing in the aerial photo, if that is indeed the remnants of an oil rig.

Any info that anybody can give me about the cemetery, and/or about Goss, would be much appreciated.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Sean MacGorma... 1243971202000 
byrd56 1244747393000 
Sean MacGorma... 1244750188000 
sbmoore_1 1452375044000 
Sean MacGorma... 1453133442000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic