LOGANÂ’S Station: This fort was settled by Colonal Benjamin LOGAN in 1775 and was situated one mile west of Stanford, Lincoln County, Kentucky. William HUDSON was killed by the Indians here; John KENNEDY was wounded; Burr HARRISON,killed; David LOGAN thought killed on his way to the station; Ambrose GRISSOM, killed; Jonas MENEFEE and Samuel INGRAM, wounded. In 1778, John LOGAN set out from the station in company with John KENNEDY, Alexander BARNET, Alexander MONTGOMERY and Jared MENEFEE to explored the Indian country. They joined BOONEÂ’s party at Blue Licks, total number of men was 18. Simon KENTON was their guide. Wm. RYBURN, Hugh ROSS, Benj. PETTIT, Joseph KENNEDY, George CLARKE, Wm. MILLER, Samuel HITE and Wm. PATON were in the latter party. This information taken from the Fayette Co. Circuit Court records by STAPLES, and the KY Historical Register and Draper mss.
The following names appeared in Captain Benjamin LOGANÂ’s Company, thought to be 1779. Capt Benj. LOGAN, Lt. John LOGAN, Ensign Alex MONTGOMERY, Ensign Azariah DAVIS, Sgt. Benj. PELTON, Sgt. Wm MENIFEE, Sgt. Roswell STEVENS, Sgt. George CLARK, Rob. BARNET, Ogden DEVERS, Benj. DRAKE, Isaac DRAKE, John DRAKE, Jonathan DRAKE, John EALOR, Chas. ENGLISH, Stevens ENGLISH, John FAIN, John JONES, John KENNEDY, James KNOX, Hugh LEEPER, James LEEPER, Wm. LOGAN, Thos. LOVELEDD, Joseph LUSK, John McCORMICK, David MITCHELL, Wm. MITCHELL, Alex. MONTGOMERY, John MONTGOMERY, Wm. MONTGOMERY, Wm. NEAL, Wm PATTON, Samuel PHELPS, Wm. PHELPS, Wm. BARTON, Samuel BELL, Arthur BLACKBURN, Alex. BOHANNON, John BOHANNON, Benj. BRIGGS, Samuel BRIGGS, James BROWN, John CANTERBURY, Caspar CASENER, Wm. CASEY, John CASTILIO, Pierce CASTILIO, Philip CONRAD, Azariah DAVIS, Samuel DEASON, Bartholomew FENTON, George FLINN, Lee GARRETT, John GIBSON, Richard GLOVER, John GLOVER, John GRIMES, Wm. GRIMES, Jacob GUNN, David HAWKINS, Jacob HERMAN, Roger HINES, Stephen HUSTON, John JOHNS, James JOHNSON, John McELHON, James McELWAIN, John McKAINE, Archibald MAHONE, James MENIFEE, Jarrett MENIFEE, Joseph MENIFEE, John MARTIN, Joseph MARTIN, Samuel MARTIN, James MASON, Samuel MAYES, Andrew MILLER, Henry MILLER, Wm. MILLER, Chas. PHILIPS, John PHILIPS, Nich. PROCTOR, Sr., Nich. PROCTOR, Jr., Chas. RUNSLE, James RUSSELL, Julius SANDERS, Alex. SINCLAIR, George SCOTT, John STORY, John SUMMERS, Arch. THOMASON, Nicholas TRAMMEL, Philip TRAMEL, George WHITE, Wm. WHITLEY. (See also Collins History, Vol 1)
The Lincoln Militia Roll Â– under Capt. Saml. KIRKHAM on an expedition against the enemy Indians under GenÂ’l. CLARK. (These men enlisted Oct 22, 1782 and were discharged Nov. 23, 1782): Capt. Samuel KIRKHAM, Lt. Henry GRIDER, Ensign William CROW, Sgt. George CAMPBELL, Sgt. DanÂ’l. BROWN, Sgt. James FISHER, Adjutant John CROW, P. H. Master Jas. THOMPSON, Joseph WILSON, John SELLERS, Josiah BOON, Jeremiah BOON, James STEPHENSON, SamÂ’l LAURENCE, Isaac LAURENCE, Solomon LAURENCE, Joseph LAURENCE, William GRASEY, Benjamin WHITE, George WILSON, George READING, Edward DOUGHERTY, SamÂ’l BRINTON/BRENTON?, William BRINTON/BRENTON?, Robt. BRITNON/BRENTON?, James BRINTON/BRENTON?, John BRINTON/BRENTON?, Edwd.TAYLOR, William STONE, Nicholas PIX?, Jesse THOMAS, Abraham THOMAS, Jacob HOLSCLAW, William BARBA, Joshua BARBA, William KERN, William FIELDS, George YUNT, John HARRIS, Peter watts, Robt. FOREMAN, Moses CHERRY, Ash EMMISON, Absalom YAGER, Cornelius YAGER, Stephen ARCHER, Jacob CROW, Levi SCOTT, Isaac ROMINE, Elisha SCOTT. (See also Ky State Historical Society Reg. Vol. 29 (1931), p. 221; Vol II, Kentucky Court and other Records, Ms. W. B. ARDERY for Lincoln Co Militia officers).
BOWMANÂ’S STATION: This station was settled in 1779 by thirty families under Col. Abraham BOWMAN and was located 6 miles east of Harrodsburg. Among the residents there were: Robert BOWMER, his son Herman BOWMER (also shown in some records as BOWMAN), Stephen and Joseph COLLINS, Elisha, Robert and Joshua PRUETT, Wm. HALL, James COX, Thomas GLASS. Not the variance in spelling of BOWMER/BOWMAN).
Captain John BOYLEÂ’S Company, 1 Apr 1780 were at stations on or near DickÂ’s Rivr, now in Garrard, Lincoln and Boyle County and included: Capt. John BOYLE, Lt. Samuel DAVIS, Ensign Elisha CLARY, Sgt. Barney BOYLE, Sgt. Jonathan MARSHALL, Jacob ANDERSON, James ANDERSON, Thomas ARBUCKLE, James COYLE, Wm. CRAWFORD, James DAVIS, Robert DESHA, Dennis DIVEN, Owen DIVEN, Hugh GALBREATH, Evandon GORDON, Peter HIGGINS, John HICKS, Wm. HICKS, Sr., Wm. HICKS, Nathan McCLURE, Wm. MARSHALL, Basil MAXWELL, Wm. MENIFEE, Wm. MITCHELL, Robert MOORE, Samuel MOORE, Nehemiah POORE, John POYNTER, James REEVES, Wm. ROWAN, John VARDEMAN, Alex WALKER, Wm. WHITLEY, John WILKINSON, Wm. YOUNG. (See Collins History, Vol 1).
ROGERSÂ’S FORT. This lay on a tract of land between Buffalo Creek, east, Cedar Creek, west, Shephardsville Rd, north and Boston Highway 62 south. It was founded by Col. James ROGERS who was born in VA 1742 and died in Ky in 1828. KENTUCKY BAPTISTS, by J. H. Spencer, page 184, 185, 186 states that James Rogers was an early preacher in Lick Creek Church. He was quite a prominent Citizen of Nelson, and served in two of the Danville Conventions." A history/genealogy column in THE KENTUCKY STANDARD, April 17, 1985, by David Hall, (Bardstown, KY) has the following on Rogers Station. " Rogers Station grew from early land deal. William Bard put together one of the earliest real estate deals in what is now Nelson Co. In 1779, probably the summer months, Bard led a party out from the Falls of Ohio to view some "Improvements" grouped around the Buffalo Creek area. He was offering these
"land claims" for sale. among the group was Co. James Rogers who later recalled some details of that trip.
In the spring of 1780 Col. James Rogers took permanent possession of the preemption west of Buffalo Creek, a part of that area then called :"Bard's Flat" Rogers Station rose in the wilderness and quickly provided temporary shelter for many settlers pouring into Nelson.
Not many of the names are known of those who lived here, but those found included: James ROGERS and his family; his brothers Matthew, and Jonathan, were there. Evan WILLIAMS and Wm KEITH were likely residents. Atkinson HILL was there before relocating to GOODINÂ’s Station. Mesheck CARTER and his family and likely John RAY and and Joseph BARNETT. William BARD was here in 1780.
This concludes this series.
(c) Copyright 2 Dec 1999, Sandra K. Gorin, All Rights Reserved. firstname.lastname@example.org