I hope by now that you have seen reference to someone in your family! We are getting closer to the end of the list. Can you picture these settlers riding many miles on horseback to get to Harrodsburg and attempt to lay in a claim for land in a wilderness? Distances were approximated – the land was wild, tree covered, Indians still roamed the land. We cannot but admire the determination of these men and women.
11 Feb 1780, same location.
Anthony Sodusky, 1000, marked & improved 1776; on E. Fork of Jessamine Creek; joins lands of Jacob Sodusky.
Edw’d Bulger, 1400, corn in 1775 & 1776; on Harrods run below lands of Thomas Quirk.
Abraham James, 1400, corn in 1776; W branch of the Hanging Fork of Dicks River, about 3 miles NE from Gorden’s Lick.
Jos’h James, 1000, by Edw’d Bulger, marked & improved 1776, on a branch of the Hanging Fork, about 3 ½ miles from the Knobb Lick; joins land of the heirs of Burr Harrison decd. & Isaac Shelby.
Dan’l Bulger, 100 by Edw’d Bulger, marked & improved 1776, same area, includes a lick called Bulgers Lick.
Wn Holdman, 400, improved in 1776, settled May 1779; about 7 miles S of the Falls of the Ohio above the trace on the E side that leads to Bullitt Lick.
Abraham Miller, 1000, by Edw’d Bulger, marked & improved 177i5; on W side of the Hanging Fork of Dicks River, above the trace leading from there to St. Asaphs & above ¾ mile of the forks of the creek.
Henry Scaggs,1400, corn in 1775; on the N side of Green River near a creek that runs into the river, about 7-8miles above the Elk Lick.
Hugh McGary, 1400, assignee of Jos’h Robertson, corn in 1775; about 27 miles S from the Locust Bent on a branch of Silver Creek, includes a honey locust flat and a small buffaloe lick.
It appears to the Court that Samuel Givens & Jacob Poplan located their rights on the same piece of land ; ordered that they be summoned to appear before the Court for a re-hearing.
Jno Jones, 1000, marked & improved 1776; on a flat branch on the N Fork of the S Fork of Licking Creek; about 2 miles W of the trance from the Lower Blue Licks to Boonesborough.
Garret Bolen, 1000, by Jno James, marked & improved 1776; on the E side of the upper road leading to Cabbin Creek on the Lick Fork of Licking Creek.
Jno Williams Jr, 1400, assignee of Patrick Wall/Wull?, settled 1776; on both sides of Jessamine Creek; joins Innis Daughterty’s land.
James Johnson, 1000, marked & improved 1776; on Cartright Creek, waters of Salt River, below lands of Dan’l Brown.
Andrew Dodds, 1400, settled May 1779; on the forks of Givens Creek, a branch of Dicks River.
Jno Muldrough, 1000, marked & improved 1776, both sides of the Bowling Fork of Salt River, about 6 miles below the Shawnee Lick.
Hugh Muldrough, 1000, assignee of Samuel McMurry, marked & improved 1776; on both sides of the Rolling Fork of Salt River; about 1 ½ miles from the Shawnee Lick.
Hugh Muldrough, 1000, marked & improved 1776; on a branch of the town fork of Salt River; about 15 miles from McCowns Station, includes a small buffaloe lick.
John Simpson, 1000, marked & improved 1776; on a branch of the Rolling fork of Salt River that runs in on the S; adjoins land of Solomon & Jno Lawrence.
Thomas Simpson, 1000, marked & improved 1776; on a branch ofd the Town Fork of Salt River; joins lands of Hugh Malborough on the SE.
John McMurry, 1000, by Jno Mildrough; marked & improved 1776; on the S side of the S Fork of Rolling Fork of Salt River; joins land of John Lawrence & Jno Simpson.
Alex’r Black, 1000, marked & improved 1776; both sides of the Rolling Fork of Salt River near where the Hunters Trace crosses.
Willi’m Black, 1000, marked & improved 1776; on a branch of the Town Fork of Salt River; joins land of Thomas Simpson on the N and above the lands of Hugh Malborough.
Adam Hite, 1400, marked & improved 1776 and corn; on the head of the N fork of Goose Creek, a branch of the Ohio; includes a spring called Cove Spring.
Abraham Hite Jr, 1400, corn in 1774; on Goose Creek below lands of Abraham Hite Sr; about 1 mile N of the same.
Joseph Hite, 1400, by Isaac Hite, corn 1774; waters of Howards Creek on the S; about 2 ½ miles from the mouth of Harrods Creek; near & joining the lands of Abraham Bowman.
Peter Hogg, 1400, corn in 1776; on the S side of the KY River; joins the lower line of Drenings Lick. Adjourned.
12 Feb 1780, same location.
Abraham Price, corn 1776; on the Bigg Meadow on the Cumberland River S side. “The s’d Price now lives it appearing to the Court from the evidence offered that the s’d Price raised corn in that part of the Country reserved fdor the Use of the Army and having made no settlement or improvm’t in any other part of the Country they are of the Opinion as the Law has made no provision for persons in that situation that they are not authorized to grant a Cert. for the same…”
Benj. Moses, Aron & Sam’l Price, 1400; corn in the Big Meadow on the Cumberland River, corn in 1775 & 1776; same decision.
William Davis, 1000, marked & improved 1776; on N side of Dicks River; joins the lands of David Finley & Azeil Davis.
Isaac Hite, 1400, settled 1776; on the Town Fork of Salt River on the E side; includes a small spring & improvements known as Fountain Bleaw & a spring on the W side of the Cainbreak E.
Jno Curry, 400, settled Mar 1779; on both sides of Salt River; joins lands of Sam’l Adams below & Wm McAfee above.
Jno Shanklin, 1400, corn in 177i6; waters of Floyds Fork of Salt River, W side; about 3-4 miles from Bullitt’s Lick; about 1 mile E from the road leading from Beargrass to the lick.
Gower Soverns, 1400; lived in country 12 months before 1778; S side of the Beech Fork of Salt River to include the Cedar Spring.
Heirs of Eli Gerrard/Garrard by Benj’n Linn, 1400, lived 12 months prior to 1778; on the S side of the Rolling Fork of Salt River; about 5 miles below the mouth of Pottengers Creek; includes a large cain bottom.
Benham Shaw, 4000, settled May 1779; on the Rolling Fork of Salt River; joins lands of heirs of Eli Gerrard.
Joseph Read, 1000, marked & improved 1776; S Fork of the Rolling Fork of Salt River, about ¾ mile below Thomas Denton’s Station Camp.
Dav’d Glen by William Stewart, 1400, corn in 1776; on Glens Creek known by the name of Trough Spring.
To be continued next week. Sandi